1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions before I buy!

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by KMatt02, Oct 26, 2007.

1. KMatt02

KMatt02 Member

1. What is the issue with playing old PS2 games? I read about some consoles having a chip in which runs old games from the hardware, and some consoles emulating the old hardware. What's the deal? Are all games compatible, is the quality better than an old console? Any comparison screenshots around? Are all problems resolved by now?

2. Is it possible for me to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse and play as if I were using a PC? Essential for FPS games...UT3 for example.

3. Can I connect an external USB hard drive or flash drive into the USB port and watch .avi, .mpg, .mp3 etc files.

4. Any possibility or rumour of a price drop in the UK? £350/$700 for a 60GB console seems too steep, despite it being a Blu-Ray player blabla.

Hope you can help me.

2. ThanatosX

ThanatosX Guest

1. There are a few versions of the ps3 out, as of now there are 3 main ones that are still retailing in major stores they are as follows.

In order of most valuable* to least.

-60gb Ps3, has an emotion chip for FULL backwards compatibility all media ports and 4 usb 2.0 ports on the front and wireless internet. 95% backwards compatible. Second most expensive, does not come with a game.

-80gb PS3, Does NOT have an emotion chip and instead uses software rendering for playing your ps2 games thus causing a few bugs and issues which are "supposed" to be fixed through firmware upgrades. All media ports and 4 usb 2.0 ports and wireless internet. Most expensive console comes with motorstorm.

-40gb Ps3, ABSOLUTELY NO BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY!, 2 usb 2.0 ports, and a i believe no media card readers or wifi (i could be wrong about the media ports and wifi, I've heard different things from different sources)

-20gb PS3* I don't know much about it, no wifi, no media ports, cheapest (can find it for 300$ sometimes on ebay), I don't know about backwards compatibility, if i were you I would pick this one up over the 40GB).

Here are my reasonings for the order I put them in. I bought my 60gb ps3 for 450CAD, no game, I would have paid 500 for a 80gb ps3, but you lose some backwards compatibility (more that software rendering just isnt as good as hardware rendering and causes laggyness in your games), so you're basically paying 50$ for motorstorm and 20gb of space. Well the 20GB of space aren't going to help you too much, at 4-8 gigs per demo. And unless you're really into that genre of game motorstorm though it does have nice graphics will get boring as all hell. So you might aswell keep the 50$ and go buy oblivion/ninja gaiden/heavenly sword, or if you'd rather, you could go get a decent 160GB hardrive for 80$ off newegg.

As for the 40gb and 20gb well the 20gb can be found for about 300$, where as the 40gb is released as a bundle with spiderman 3 for about 400$, spiderman 3 and 20 gigs of space not really worth 100$ for me, and I doubt it would be for you either. So if backwards compatibility, wifi, and media ports don't matter to you, these two are your best bet. Pick up the 20gb and go buy yourself a nice shinny new 160gb hd for it and you'll be flying with a 160GB ps3 for only 400 bucks. keep in mind NO BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY AND NO WIFI/MEDIA PORTS!

2. Yes you can plug your mouse and keyboard into your ps3, no you cant use them in FPS games unless the game has support for them itself, there is however a controller out there (PlayStation 3 FragFX Controller) (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10092080&catid=24378) which has a mouse which is fully compatible with all games whether they are meant to use it or not. This is the controller your looking for if you want to play with a mouse.

3. Yes you can connect any hardrive to your ps3 and watch movies/music on it granted you are formated in the correct format (all flash drives use fat or fat16/32 formatting anyways so any thumb drive will work perfectly fine, you'll have to convert that hulking external 500GB hd to fat or fat32 instead of NTFS if you want to run it on your ps3 though).

4. I looked around a bit and as far as I can tell the price drop is only for north america, you'll have to wait and see though.

*Note all prices above are in CAD, from my local best buy retailer
    **The 60 GB ps3 was on SALE for 450Cad when I bought it, they are 550 cad and will most likely stay that way for a while since they cost sony the most.
    ***The 60GB ps3 overtook the 80GB ps3 as far as retail price goes not, they are 50$ more so my argument towards value of the 60gb ps3 above only applies to if you find it on sale again (I only noticed this when I went to get you a link for the frag fx controller).

Hope I cleared things up for you a bit, if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me, I'm always there to help :).

3. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

1. If your in the Uk and you want to play ps2 games, you need to buy the 60gb not the 40gb, with the 60gb you will have hardly any problems, it looks better on a hdtv because the ps3 can upscale the games to a better resolution but dont expect blue-ray graphics.

2. You cant play with a keyboard, and i dont think UT3 is out on ps3, just get it on pc and connect it to your hd if you have one

3. You can connect a usb flash, but you need to have compatible media so the ps3 can play it, you can also upgrade your ps3 harddrive its very easy!

4. The 60gb has already dropped to £350 there will be no more price drops as they are going to all sell out by christmas and no longer be manufactured as people will buy the 40gb because its cheaper, its a good deal as it comes with a couple of games:

My advice to you is get the 60gb before its sold out, get the one from game (link above)

4. KMatt02

KMatt02 Member

Well if I get one I need the 60GB one without a doubt, backwards compatibility is very important to me. Does anyone have any screen shots showing the difference between a PS2 game played on a PS2 compared to the PS3?

5. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

6. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

It was announced that Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 will indeed support a keyboard and mouse.

7. pets34me

pets34me Regular member

I heard some where that ut3 will also support cross platform play so that the ps3 could play the pc. I might have also read that it could also play against 360 owners but that sounds very unrealistic.

8. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

No, not 360 owners. That won't happen. Maybe PC though.