1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some ripping/burning problems

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Yesfan70, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Yesfan70

Yesfan70 Member

I didn't know the best section to post this, so I apologize if this is not the right forum.

I have a Sony external DVD writer (the DRX-830U) and have Nero 7. It is taking me about 4-5 hours to copy a DVD. I have the burner connect via my PC's front USB port.

A friend of mine at work and a couple of others online have mentioned that my USB port could be the problem. I bought my Dell Dimension 4400 in 2001-02. On my Dell, I have a DVD-ROM and a separate CDR-RW drive. According to them, my burner uses a newer 2.0 USB connection and its possible that the older USB port on my PC is slowing everything down.

What I was wanting to ask was, should I consider selling my ext Burner and getting the internal version of my Sony or add a PCI card slot and keep it? From what I have been hearing, the internal drives are able to burn faster due to being connected to one of the IDE connections. If this is true, how much faster is that compared to keeping the ext drive and adding a PCI card?

If an internal drive is suggested, will I still be able to connect it along with the other two or would you suggest switching out with either the DVD-ROM or CDR/RW drive? I have the space for adding a third drive, but don't know if I have enough IDE connections.

Thanks everyone for your time and suggestions

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Yesfan70
    Yep that sounds like your problem - using an 1.1 usb hub.
    Do you get a windows pop saying something like this device could perform faster on a usb 2.0 hub?

Check one of the back ports - sometimes on older pc they put the 1.1 on the front on the 2.0 on the back - but older ones too may just 1.1.

Connecting a internal burner will be a little bit faster but not that much of a noticeable difference.

Cheapest would be to just replace one of the pci cards with a 2.0 usb pci card. If you're in the US check out newegg.com. Good prices and fast shipping.