1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Videos Play & Others Do Not?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by dusktillafterdawn, Oct 24, 2012.

1. dusktillafterdawn

dusktillafterdawn Member

I have a pack of videos that we're ripped and encoded from old VHS tapes. The pack contains about about 50 episodes, of which 4 of them will not play in Windows Media Center, nor do they have a thumbnail in Windows Explorer (in Windows 7). They just appear as a generic icon and give me a "Windows Media Player encounter a problem while playing the file" error" error.

I opened these all the files in VirtualDub and under "File Properties" I was able to get the encoding information. All the videos (both the playable and non-playable ones) are all using the same Xvid MPEG-4 / Fraunhoff IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codecs. The only difference is on the bad files, VirtualDub has the keyframes listed at 1 and gives the following error message when opening:

I've already confirmed on two different HDDs that the files are not corrupt in downloading, so I'm assuming the problem has to do with the software on my end.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. attar

attar Senior member

In VirtualDub, if you click 'File > Open Video File' and check the box, lower left, for 'ask for extended option, then check the box for 're-derive keyframe flag' and on the main menu, set 'Video > Direct stream copy' and save the file does it help?

3. dusktillafterdawn

dusktillafterdawn Member

This did indeed work like a charm! However I still did get this error for each of them:

But they are working now so I can't complain. What exactly did you do to fix them?

4. attar

attar Senior member

Beats me, I just use VirtualDub a lot so I know it sometime helps to clean up bad avi files.
    You could also try DivFix - it's specifically designed to repair AVI files that are corrupted - although I can't say one way or the other if it works;I usually get by using VirtualDub.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DivFix