1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some XP questions(maybe many as i'm a noob pc user)

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by LUFFYPSP, Dec 26, 2007.

1. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

First thing is,i have Windows vista Ultimate and 1Gb Ram.i want to install xp on it.but i saw lots of version of xp available.so can someone list all the xp version and tell me what is the best xp at this moment.the only thing i know is it should be xp profesional.other than that no...(i saw there is gold edition,royal edition and many more) and they are downloadable.plus it says its a genune one,if you want the link tell me.

right now i have a copy of windows xp profesional SP3 with Vista Theme.i'm afraid its not genuine.how to know if the software is genuine??
    can i use microsoft office 07 and other latest apps that worked on my vista on xp??
    Thats all for now.i'll come back later with more questions.thanx for reading.

**the bold words is the one that i really need answers.

2. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Stick with XP Pro or look for a copy of LastXp (XP Pro w/ tweaks)A few things before you start downgrading.

First, you will need to make sure you have all the XP drivers for your computer. As far as if your copy is genuine, it may not be and it may or may not pass the WGA, but that's something you won't know until you install it.

As far as the software goes, you should be able to use the software on XP also. Most Vista software is backwards compatible with XP. However, some XP programs are not Vista compatible.

3. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

-ok i got it.xp pro.just that,which one??which service pack??

-Whats WGA??

-do you use all the latest apps for your pc(i mean the one that compatible with vista because i heard the apps on vista cant support xp or something..)??

4. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

Please close this thread...i have all my problems answered.but before any mod close this - whats WGA??full explain pliz....

5. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

WGA - definition : evil software, not unlike spyware, that sits in the background of your computer.

All it does is tells MS (via the internet) if you have a legal, or illegal copy of windows. it may prevent you from installing newer MS products, like newer services pack, version of Office, Media Player or IE just to name a few. Other than that is doesn't really do that much. it just gives you an annoying pop-up balloon in the lower corner of your desktop every now and then that annoying tells you that "your version of windows may not be genuine"

EDIT:
    here is a link if you want more information on this truly evil tool. (guard against piracy my arse, it's info gathering at its worst)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  6. bryguy12

bryguy12 Member

This one is easy: WGA is the acronym for Windows Genuine Advantage, which is fancy polite wording for "During your connection to Windows for service updates, Windows is going to require you to install their confirmation / system checking software." It's a mishmash collection of Windows number checkers -- it confirms that your Certificate of Authenticity # is not being duplicated by other installs (ie, a shared registration # that's being used on multiple computers), and it creates a unique second number that uses information from your system like the processor code, the hard drive information, the amount of memory, blah blah blah. If you later upgrade your system, updating just one or two components will not create a Black Flag that they'll want to check, but change too many components at once and you'll end up having to call a Microsoft representative (ie, India) and tell them what you did. They've always authorized me during upgrades, but it's always been legitimate processes. Just don't always expect to be able to use, for example, your OEM version of Windows XP on an upgraded computer. Certain versions of Windows are not licensed to be uninstalled and transferred. They die with the original machine.

7. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

whoa..thta kind of explanation is something both of you guys...thnxx,now i know what it is.so,how to know if my windows is genuine or not??

8. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

9. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

i didnt know they was such thing.thnx.

Here is some result that i think important.

Genuine Validation Status: Unsupported OS
    Windows Product ID Type: 0
    Windows License Type: Unknown
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Failed to retireve file version.
    Signature Type: Unknown.

it seems like a non genuine vista.but i have updated my windows several times with the windows update and got it successfully updated.why??

another one,both OEM scan is complete.