1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone check to see if this is a good burner "2 sheep"

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by keithyb, Jan 15, 2004.

1. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

well i got this before
    Shoey
    10 January 2004 04:15
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    While the Litey may have issues with SD3.15, for a mere $60CAD, its hard not to reccommend. :p
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depends on the user and if they backup pc\audio protection on a routine basis.Also, MSI& TDK are'nt "2 sheep burners" and later Sony models are listed as "2 sheepers" and damn good burners.

Quote:
    just looking for the best 2 sheep burner.. that is not over priced...thanks

You ask me what is the "best" 2 sheep burner (at present) and it is the Plextor Premium (52\32\52x). Keep in mind that Macrovision's Safedisc and Sony DAC are continually updating their pc protections (Safedisc& SecuROM) and this has always been an issue of a "cat& mouse" game. One day your burner backs up the protection, the next day it doesn't. The Plex Premium is "affordable"..Before Safedisc 3.15 I would have endorsed the Litey 52x cd burner I recommend the following brand name burners in this order for backing up pc\audio protection.

CD Burners
    1) Plextor Premium (52\32\52x)
    2) Asus 52x
    3) LiteOn 52x

SO that would fall under 1) then ...

4. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Thanks for the web page tho !

5. Nephilim

You do realize that the Plexwriter 52/32/52 and the Plextor Premium are two different drives right?

6. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

says its a premium

7. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

says
    PLEXTOR (PX-PREMIUM-SW-BL) PLEXWRITER 52-32-52A INT ATAPI CDRW

8. Nephilim

My bad! Didn't read the fine print :)

9. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Well i did not actaully see it ..but if u go to bookmark it thats exactly what it states..so i would think its correct

10. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

NM it does say it..but still what does teh A mean at the end ? :)

11. Nephilim

I'm not sure what the A is for. Plextor's website lists a "Plexwriter 52/24/52A" and the "Plextor Premium" which is a 52/32/52. I think it may be a typo on the shopperwiz website since they call it a Premium AND list it as a 52/32/52.

12. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Very nice hardware Neph! Have you by chance tried to backup Safedisc 3.15 (Prince Of Persia:Sands Of Time) or SecuROM 4.85& up (Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Oayne). I hear people are having major headaches with Safedisc 3.15 and many struggle to backup SecuROM 4.85&up as well. I managed to backup Max Payne 2 "TwinPeak" using "old school" BlindWrite Suite 4.25& 4.5.7 as backups work flawlessly in both of my drives. I just can't afford that Plex PX-708A dvd burner but the Plex Premium is at a "reasonable" price and I'll just maybe have to get one...

Shoey :)
    Glad to see members take advice
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Afterdawn forum rules
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712,CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+,Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700),nVidia GeForce FX5600(256MB DDR),Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd,WD 80 gig external USB 2.0 [/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2004
  13. Nephilim

Thank you kindly Shoey! I'm so happy with both of them. I had someone lined up to buy my Sony DRU-500A for $75 and the 708 was $200 at newegg so $125 out of pocket wasn't bad. Unfortunately now I'm stuck eating ramen noodles for awhile now until I can afford real groceries again.

The latest SecuROM I have is 4.82 (No One Lives Forever 2) and the latest Safedisc is Call Of Duty - I can't remember which Safedisc COD used because I finished and my brother has it now. I do want to get Max Payne 2 so I'll let you know how it goes when I get it (I may even have to cut out the ramen!).

You mentioned using BlindWrite on Max Payne - were CloneCD and Alcohol unable to dupe it?

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor 708A/Plextor Premium/LiteOn 166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1[/small]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  14. Shoey

Shoey Guest

ROFLMAO Neph! Sends you a money order to go out and eat at your favorite restaraunt.. So does your backup of COD (Call Of Duty) play ok in your dvd\cd-rom? What program did you use?

The latest BlindWrite 5 5.07 can't backup SecuROM 4.85&up because there is some "bug" in the "topo" extract so I gave BlindWrite 4.25& 4.5.7 backing up Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne (SecuROM 4.85) and my "TwinPeak" backups play flawlessly without having to use emulation (Alcohol 120& RMPS). I despise emulation but some just have to use it. CloneCD& TwinPeak Tool was a success as well for my hardware (Litey LTD 165H& Litey LDW-411S). My last test will be Alcohol 120..(not using RMPS emulation)

Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712,CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+,Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700),nVidia GeForce FX5600(256MB DDR),Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd,WD 80 gig external USB 2.0 [/small]

15. Nephilim

Hee Hee! I'm just going to be having dinner over at my folks alot in the next week.

I used Alcohol 120% 1.4.8 with datatype: SafeDisc 2/3. It works great in my 166 as well as the Pioneer slot load DVD-ROM (can't remember the model# and I'm too lazy to break open the case to find out) in my other machine which doesn't have any sort of emulation software on it.

I'll probably get MP2 when I get my next check in a couple weeks so I'll report the results if someone else hasn't already.

Take care!

16. Shoey

Shoey Guest

So your backups of Call Of Duty (Safedisc 3.10) play fine in your Litey LTD 166& Pioneer dvd-roms? As a test, uninstall Alcohol 120 on your primary pc and secondary pc (if applicable)>reboot>play backup of COD in your dvd-roms and see if you can play the game with success.

Shoey :)