1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone has got to be able to figure this out

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Zenzi, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Zenzi

Zenzi Member

Help! I can't figure this out!
    I've been backing up dvds "forever"...never had a problem. All of a sudden EVERY disk I opened with DVD SHRINK came back with a CYCLIC REDUNDANCY ERROR. Then I tried using DVD DECRYPTER, and that gives ERRORS, too. NOW DVD SHRINK freezes before even trying to open a disk. Nothing has changed, same programs as always, although I've since downloaded a new copy of DVD Shrink- with the same results- (New disks, old disks- they all do it.) I don't think it's a bug, since every other type of program runs fine. The only suspicion I have is that the first disk that did this was "Super-Size Me." Could the disk have some wierd new copy protection on it that screwed things up?
    HELP!!

2. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

It`s the writer or reader that`s struggling to read the data........somewhere you`ve got corruption or damaged discs?
    It can also happen with reading badly/poorly burnt discs.
    Is your burner on it`s way out? Is it the discs made from that that are not reading?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Email me if I don`t reply to a previously answered post. I`m probably fishing :)[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2004
  3. Zenzi

Zenzi Member

Hi Biosgain!
    Thanks for the help...I'm desperate!
    The reader/burner drive is only about 5-6 months old, and up til now never had a problem.
    As for the disks, they're all "factory made" movies, bought from many different stores, ebay, etc. I don't even get to the burning process... I can't even back up the info onto the hard drive.
    Since this problem is usually caused by dirty or scratched DISKS, is it possible the drive is dirty? Could I just use a cd/dvd player "Head cleaner" or would that make things worse? Although I CAN download data cds (Pics, docs, etc.) using this same drive without a problem.
    I must have angered the IFO Gods... and me fresh out of virgins to sacrifice...

Thank you again for the help!!!!

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Possibly a dirty laser lens. Try a quick shot of compressed air into the drive's innards or a lens cleaner kit :)

5. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

Do you have another burner or reader you could try it with? So as to eliminate your`s from being faulty ;)

6. Zenzi

Zenzi Member

AAAhhh!
    Good thinking... Not an extra, but a friend with one... will try!

7. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

Any joy on this yet?