1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone help Can't Get Red Faction 2 to play

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jodge407, Mar 21, 2003.

1. jodge407

jodge407 Guest

Please could some one help me. I have just copied Red Faction 2 and can't get it to play. The method i'm using is the Gameshark 2 with card trick. I insert the disc and it try's to load but it just stays on the screen saying press X when ready. I used these http://store.yahoo.com/cdrdvdrmedia/comdealfor473.html for burning on and burned them at 1 speed on Prassi 2.0. Does this game need a patch or something

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. jodge407

jodge407 Guest

Anyone?

3. jodge407

jodge407 Guest

Just burned it with a Memorex DVD-R and still no luck. Please guys help me!

4. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I burned it w/ recordnow max and did an exact copy. I also burned it in image form to make sure. It works fine. It mat be one of those games that dont work w/ Swap trick. Get yourself a no swap mod and you wont have any problems.

5. jodge407

jodge407 Guest

Thanks L-dubb but the problem is I haven't got a bloody clue on to how to solder them.
    I think your right about it being one of those games you can't play using the swap method.

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Some games don't swap well using the Gameshark or Action replay. I've heard that those games can often be booted using the Swap Magic discs.

7. jodge407

jodge407 Guest

Yeah but I don't want to spend another $25 bucks on a boot disc and it might not even work. I'm gonna get a Magic 3.1 but I need to find somewhere where they can install it for me.

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

You might want to look into a Messiah 2 instead of a Magic 3.1. The Magic 3.1 chips are pretty good but some games such as Deus X and Max Payne will attempt to authenticate the disc long after booting up and the Magic 3.1 does not support this feature and therefore there is no way to run backups of these games. I'm sure Sony and other developers will likely start incorporating this feature into more of their releases making it necessary to upgrade your mod again in the feature.

9. jodge407

jodge407 Guest

Is the messiah 2 difficult to install on a V4?

10. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

Not if your a pro. But if your not(and your not) it is very difficult. I can do them w/ my eyes closed now but I remember the first one I ever did. What a nightmare. I suggest you get professional help.

11. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I'm afraid that any 2nd generation mod is quite difficult to install on a v4. The problem is the square IC chip to the left of the Bios. It has some of the smallest legs of any IC chip I've seen and quite the hardest thing I've ever tried to solder to. In all, you'll need to attach about 8 wires there and they pop off real easily. You'll encounter this problem with the Magic chips as well. On v5 and up PS2's they elimated this chip and most of the solder points that replaced it are easy to solder to gold pads.

12. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

Yeah those legs are a pain. Thats is why w/ a little bit of research I found some alternate points. On the bottom you could solder to some via points that correspond w/ the CD/DVD controller chip. Much easier than the pins. I'll send you the pics if your interested Icemonkey.

13. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Sounds cool, go ahead and PM me.

14. jodge407

jodge407 Guest

Anyone know what kind of places would mod my PS2 for me??

15. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Sorry, I can't help you there. Try searching some of the threads here. I've seen a few stories on this board both good and bad about various places people have taken their unit to be modded.