1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

someone help, ripping problems

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by G_WNIT, Jan 18, 2007.

1. G_WNIT

G_WNIT Guest

I had this situation before, and it was resolved. The computer had a virus, and it was deleted. It made my ripping programs extremely slow, and Fab would say reading/writing error.

Now it's come back, but I scan my pc with 2 different anti-virus pro, and it says 0.

I've uninstalled fab so many times, and still the same thing.

shrink same as fab, dvddecrypter same as fab.

also I don't think it's the pio/dma thing, I followed alkohol's guide, and it's fine.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  2. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Have you tried a reg cleaner. I run ccleaner after uninstalls particurlarly because of the junk left behind. It also has a good windows/applications cleaner for cache, cookies, etc.

Good luck I hope your problem resolves soon.

3. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Also make sure your hard drive is set for DMA mode (not just the optical drive/s).

How much hard drive space do you have available, when a drive is running low on space, everything will run slower as a result.

When was the last time you performed a defrag? A heavily fragmented hard drive will also slow things down.

You might also want to try and clean the optics in you optical drive/s, a dirty lens can cause problems.

Run "task manager" and see what your cpu usage is with nothing else running (shut all apps down), it slould be approx 0-3%, if it's high, then something is running without you knowledge. Task manager should show you what's running in the processes tab, if not, run "MSCONFIG" from the "start-->run" prompt then click on the "startup" tab to see what apps automatically run when you start your PC, if someting there looks like it shouldn't be running you can stop it by unchecking that application (be carefull, you should be sure of what you're stopping first).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  4. G_WNIT

G_WNIT Guest

kitty66 I have registry mech, and I use it often. thansk I hope I can solve it soon, it's driving me insane.

john do I set my hard drive to dma like the optical drive, or something else.

I'm going to try to defrag, and I hope this will fix it.

as far as low space I've always ripped with at least 18-20 gig.

fab, and decrypter can't even reach 1MB per sec, and "occasionally" the drive's light will blink. After a min or two fab will give up and says reading/writing error control, and decrypter just sits there with 21 hrs of remaining time.

shrink starts fine and the speed drops to 400 kbps.

5. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

@G
    Has anyone mentioned firmware to you yet? It is possible that your firmware needs to be updated. I used the program http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm to check. Again good luck, I hate problems like these it can really melt your best brain cells.

@John
    OK, color me confused... What is set when the Primary IDE Controller and Secondary IDE Controller are set to DRM. I presume this is the optical setting? How does one set the HD to DRM.

6. G_WNIT

G_WNIT Guest

kitty I'm going to try the software you mention, also I updated it about about last year so may be that's causing all this stress on me and my pc.

thanks for the help so far I'll let you guys know soon.

7. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

@kitty66

DRM for drives/IDE controllers???

The only DRM (digital-rights-management)I'm aware of is that Microsoft will be embedding digital rights management within in its latest dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chip set, it's their way of helping the entertainment industry to control/enforce copyright. It will allow copyright holders to prevent unauthorized copying and distribution of copyrighted materials from the motherboard rather than through the operating system.

I'm not aware of any such thing for drives.

8. G_WNIT

G_WNIT Guest

John I think she was talking about the dma, I've asked as well how do one set hd to dma.

I don't know if this will help but shrink gets an i/o error, while fab is error 400(I have no idea what any of this means)

If I don't solve this thing by tomorrow, I'm going to format it. It's seriously pissing me off, I don't know how much more I can take.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  9. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

10. G_WNIT

G_WNIT Guest

thanks john I'll give that a try, but I plan to format anyway.

It's not the program rather there's something inside the pc that won't let me back up, or rip. I haven't try burning for fear of losing my precious verbatim discs.

I should be done formating, and installing the os by tonight.

kitty I don't think the problem had to with firmware, but thanks to you I finally got around to updating them.

I really appreciated both you for taking time to help me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  11. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.........

OK...yes I mean the DMA not DRM. All the brain cells melting from burning problems is ruining my acronym recognition skills!

Thanks!

12. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

@kitty66

The procedure for enabling DMA mode for your hard drive is the same as for the optical drives. Once you know what IDE controller and device# the hard drive is connected to, just enable DMA for that device in that IDE controller's properties menu.

[​IMG]

How to enable DMA mode for your drives;
    http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

Here's some additional info and instructions if needed.
    http://www.real-knowledge.com/dma.htm

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007