1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone is stealing my internet

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by jenny222, Jun 10, 2007.

1. jenny222

jenny222 Member

Hi guys...

Thank you for taking time out to read this, I really appreciate it. I have a question for you guys. My internet has moments where it's really fast, then there are moments where it's really slow. I have cable and the computers in my house access the net through a wireless router.

I suspect that our neighbors are tapping into our connection. Is there a way to find out? Also, can you guys PLEASE show me how to set up a password? Or a way to block unwated "guests"?

I don't have any of the books for my router/cable modem. All the paperwork is lost. Can I still proceed with setting up the password?

Thank you fellas for your time!

Jenny

2. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  3. jenny222

jenny222 Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but I have a Belkin and it's not on the list you gave me =(

But thank you MasterChu!

Also, to set up the password, does it matter which computer I'm on?

4. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

5. jenny222

jenny222 Member

Wow MasterChu you're so fast hehe

I was able to get into the "Setup Home" page. I clicked into "security" but they didn't ask me for any admin name or admin password. I then proceeded to select the WPA-PSK security mode. I wrote in a password in the "Pre-shared" box. I clicked "apply changes" then the page acted like it was loading something.

It never gave me a "congratulations your changes have been applied" message or anything. The router didn't even restart. I see an option that says "restart router"...should I manually click on there?

Thanks MasterChu!!

6. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

7. jenny222

jenny222 Member

Wow thank you!

Okay I definitely didn't do it right because nothing asked me for a password lol. I went over to my brother's room and tried to go on the net, but it would say 'page not found" or something like that. When I clicked to view a list of available networks, I saw our belkin name on the list. Some of the networks have something called a WEP password, so when you cilck on their names, the password popped up. For us...when I clicked on the name, nothing popped up. I then clicked "connect" but still...it won't connect.

It looks like only my computer can go on the net now (because I'm connect through a wire to the router, instead of wireless).

I looked under the security thing and under SSID it says "belkin54g" does that count for a model number? lol

Thanks for all your help, Chu...=)

8. jenny222

jenny222 Member

Oh I found it!

Version Info
    Firmware Version

Boot Version

Hardware
    F5D7231-4

Serial No.
    BEL1TMHF

9. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

10. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

11. jenny222

jenny222 Member

Hehe okay this is what happened. I managed to get it to say "enter passcode" when they click into our network name. But when I clicked "connect" without typing anything in...it still connected. Also, when I tried to connect to one of those with the passcode thing...after a few attempts, it automatically connects my brother's computer onto our network!

Funny thing is...even when it says "connected to lexcorp (that's our name)" when I tried to go to a page it says "page cannot be displayed" LOL my brother is getting rather upset at me heh heh =)

Thanks again Chu!

12. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

13. jenny222

jenny222 Member

Chu, I have to go now, but thanks for all your help. I will definitely let you know if I get everything figured out.

Have a great remaining weekend!

Jenny

14. jenny222

jenny222 Member

Okay so I've gotten it to want you to enter a passcode before it lets you connect to our network...BUT, when I tried logging in the passcode, it'll say "passcode needs to be 83 characters or 110 ascii" or something like that...

It's not taking the passcode! =(

15. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

16. tripplite

tripplite Guest

wow master chu, anyway get a NAT firewall, this will hid your SSID or enter into your url bar 198.168.1.1, you will prompted to enter a passwords and your user account you should have one, if it doesn't work replace one of the 1's with a o, then you will be loaded to your routers
    page where you can make a WEP key, your neighbor will get the message

17. tripplite

tripplite Guest

also, if some stole my internet i might get hack and mess up 3, to play around with them for stealing my internet, teach'em a lesson'em