1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone please......(damage of DVD or Monitor)

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by George23j, Dec 20, 2004.

1. George23j

George23j Member

I've chosen this "tricky" subject in order to get some more attention, since this is a dublicate post (i have done this exact question before), as i haven't received any answers before..............

Is there any possibility for any damage to happen on a [bold]DVD-disc[/bold] OR on a [bold]DVD(for PC)-player[/bold] OR on a [bold]PC-Monitor[/bold], IF any of the following occur:

1)The DVD-disc is Region X, while the DVD(for PC)-player doesn't support Region X and we insert the DVD to DVD-player and play it (Although we don't see anything correctly of course).

2)The DVD-disc is for NTSC, while the DVD(for PC)-player doesn't support NTSC and we insert the DVD to DVD-player and play it (Although we don't see anything correctly of course).

3)The DVD-disc is for NTSC, while the PC-Monitor doesn't support NTSC and we insert the DVD to DVD-player and play it (Although we don't see anything correctly of course).

So, is there even the slightest chance on any of the above combinations, for any of the components (DVD, DVD-player, PC-Monitor), to be damaged by playing them?
    Or in all combinations we would just not be able to see what the DVD contain and there is NO POSSIBILITY at all for being damaged the DVD and the DVD player and the monitor?

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  2. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

I think that the answer to all of your questions is no.

1. In a region locked system, non-allowed region DVDs will just show a warning and will not play their content.

2 & 3. NTSC and PAL are TV video standards which cannot be natively displayed on a computer monitor which only accepts RGB. The actual DVD movies are encoded using YUV, the conversion to RGB (in modern PCs), is usually mostly handled by your video card. Again, your disk, drive and monitor are safe.