1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone plz help! private p2p!?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by jgjones, Jan 27, 2005.

1. jgjones

jgjones Member

I am trying to find out if a program exist that i can use to make a private file sharing network with just friends and family. That way i can control who is a member and who is not and uncle sam can't watch what we're doing. Right now i'm trying grouper which seems to work decently . it still goes through grouper's servers first though. i'm about to try direct connect and dc++ but i don't know if i can make those private. anyone have any suggestions?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sure if you have lots of money to string cable from your house to friends' houses & set up a small server

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

unless you have a LOT of programming knowledge and money for a good amount of equipment, the easiest solution that might do what you want it to is an FTP server that supports SSL. That way only the people you give a password to will have access. You'll still need a good amount of bandwidth to make the speed decent with multiple simultaneous users, and a large amount of centralized storage space, and even then, this method is pretty limited. As far as other methods, I have some links to discussions on the subject between people far more informed then me, but they aren't handy. I'll post them when I get a chance.

4. jgjones

jgjones Member

thanks a lot you guys, i'll try dc++, i've started a hub and it moves at decent speeds. i've also grown kind of fond of grouper, although to transfer music you have to rar them b/c it won't let you send .mp3s but i may just have to stick with one of those