1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something Better Than Filmora?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Billy_Br, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Billy_Br

Billy_Br Member

I've been using Filmora for more than a year, pursuing my self-taught hobby of merging video clips with music, and I think my skills have advanced to the point that I'd like to be able to do more "features". Example, I'd like to be able to do "Zoom", say for example a video clip is 5 seconds long, I'd like to be able to "crop" to a smaller viewing area at the end of that 5 seconds and have the area "zoom" to that defined rectangle smoothly over that 5 second period, instead of a standard "crop" where in one frame it's one size and the next frame it's instantly "cropped". I apologize as I'm probably using the wrong technical terms.

I've asked this question before on other forums and other people have recommended other softwares but all of those softwares are extremely hard to use in terms of GUI and simplicity (and for no good reason, I might add). I don't the need to have 100 buttons that you never use constantly in the visual field. I like to edit fast, but I want a good set of tools on hand. Example I've tried later versions of Filmora (I use 6.8.2) and I find them all completely unacceptable.

There are some limits with Filmora that are becoming intolerable. Example say I want to tie a particular frame of video to a particular "frame" of audio, so that the audio and the video always happen at the exact same time, if I splice or do anything to any previous point in the sequence, the two I want to tie together move offset from each other. This drives me crazy as it forces me to edit from left to right, beginning to end, and if I try to go back and change something, then I have to count frames and start using math with a literal pencil and paper, which to my thinking is ridiculous.

Another thing I'm finding intolerable is the idea that there isn't some kind of "video calculator". Say I have a clip that I know starts a 8:13 (8 seconds and 13 frames) and it ends at 12:20. It's easy enough to mentally subtract 8 from 12 seconds (equals 4) and 13 from 20 frames (equals 7) and know that I have a 4:07 long clip.

But what if the clip starts at 14:21 and ends at 16:12? Now I'm doing math that involves "borrowing" from seconds, converting that borrowed second to (24) frames and then adding (12 + 24) = 36 minus 21 = 15, and 15 minus 14 = 1:15 long clip. Did I just do that math right? Let me re-check.

Anyone feel me here? It's RIDICULOUS. Because then I have to remember a 1:15 clip, then go back into the previous section of the video and cut-out a 1:15 long clip in order to paste a 1:15 clip in order to prevent the video frames from offsetting from the audio at 10:17. MADDENING.

And unacceptable. There has to be a better way.

2. JezBin

JezBin Newbie

I do not often do video editing, but my friends have good opinion of an open source Shotcut...
    Have you ever tried it? Probably it could suit your needs.