1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something is wrong with my startup...

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by FaugYou, Oct 6, 2007.

1. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

I just installed windows vista and when I log in all I see is a black screen and my "Documents" folder is open... to access my desktop I have to press control-alt-delete and go to File>New Task(Run...)> and type in "explorer" this shouldnt be like this and is a pain in the arse does anyone know how to automatically start explorer? Thanks.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Either you installed vista wrong, or your pc is very slow and it will take a long time for it to start.

What are your pc's specs?

3. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

2gb ram, nvidia 6600, pen 4... rated 3.4ghz with ht... its a really good computer... i dont know how i could have installed it wrong i just followed the wizard.

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well you definetly meet the requirements for vista, the only thing I could really recommend is to reinstall, or wait a while, maybe 5 minutes for it to load.

5. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

i figured out what was wrong with it, I just don't know how to go about fixing it... When a computer starts obviously the explorer.exe (windows explorer) is included in the start up programs, when you open "documents" that is also an explorer.exe program... for some reason the two programs are flip flopped and instead of the correct explorer.exe starting (the desktop one), the wrong explorer.exe starts (the documents one)... I just need to find out how to change this and I have no idea where to start... any help would be great =)

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

hmm, vista is complicated since I'm using XP. Maybe try switching the two files in msconfig or some other program... I really dont know since I dont have vista.

Btw, what version are you using?

7. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

ultimate but id much rather go back to xp... except I love the media center on my 360

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a hardware issue

9. darkradar

darkradar Member

Try reinstalling it or maybe there is something wrong with the installation disk. I would call microsoft.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

darkradar, get that link out of your sig ASAP as per forum rules. post edited.
    2. Linking to pyramid schemes and other forms of "free <place-your-product-here> schemes" is stricly prohibited (see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/207101 )

11. steimy

steimy Active member

Why not just get and install Windows XP Media Center Edition then? It is much less of a resource hog then Vista.

Personally i do not see the big deal with media centers, My laptop has XP MCE and there is nothing that it can do better or easier than my Desktop with XP Pro. I have programs on my Desktop that can do anything media center can.