1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something to think about the Sony Arccos protection

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by christ93, Apr 23, 2005.

1. christ93

christ93 Regular member

I have been reading some of the threads and been chatting with a coworker who also backs up DVDS and I have noticed something. We both use DVDShrink, and he had no problem backing up The Forgotten while I had to use DVDDecrypter. I had no problem using Shrink to backup AVP but I had to tell him about decrypter. Has anybody else run across the same issue/finding. I'm wondering if the protection is only put on a certain number of DVD's.

2. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

The Sony protection you speak of cannot be handled by DVD Shrink but can be handled by DVD Decrypter, DVDIdle Pro (other dvdidle programs) and AnyDVD but you can use DVD Shrink to do just the main movie and it will work but keep in mind if you want to copy your copy in the future you will not be able to do so. The way this Sony protection is setup is that it adds quite a bit of encryption to the menu system on the disk with Bad sectors throughout the movie with the tail end credits using near the same encryption as the menus. Best advice is check out www.dvdidle.com and look at DVDIdle Pro or get a copy of AnyDVD. You can also try the free version of DVD43 (freeware) which will also do the job but is not updated as frequently as the commercial software and can be downloaded from www.dvd43.com. Please note that there is a lot of misconception about this program, the original was programed in China then a protion of the code was redone to produce DVD43 so DVD43 is a spinoff of the origianl DVD43 but not quite the same version. This is notable in DVDIdle Pro since it uses the origianl code and you can tell by the smiley icon that the freeware DVD43 was used from it. Using the freeware version of DVD43 with DVDShrink will do the entire movie for you but you will still end up burning bad sectors. Using DVD Decrypter you will still have the same issue but DVD Decrypter replaces the bad sectors with dummy sectors which are diferent (some will argue otherwise) and you will still have inconsistencies within your burn. Best advice is to purchase DVDIdle Pro or AnyDVD which both products will do a very good job at providing you a nice copy without bad or dummy sector problems.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  3. christ93

christ93 Regular member

I know Shrink cant deal with this protection, but he copied the movie with Shrink. I, on the other hand, had to use decrypter. I think that the Sony protection may be hit and miss. Anybody else fan across this????

4. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

The Sony protection may be just that, hit or miss and you guessed it right. The reason for this is that duplication houses hired by the folks pushing the movie very often do not even encrypt some movies at all because Joe the Pizza guy just delivered to the staff and hey what the hell they don't care anyways since all they make is minimum wages. Ooooooppppppssssss! forgot to push the button but the boss won't know. Actually this has happened on numerous occassions I worked at a dupe house once and know all about it. I even ran accross Cold Mountain with NO PROTECTION at all and speak of The Forgotten, same there I didn't need to worry about it at all since it wasn't on the disk.

5. christ93

christ93 Regular member

The Sony protection you speak of cannot be handled by DVD Shrink but can be handled by DVD Decrypter, DVDIdle Pro (other dvdidle programs) and AnyDVD but you can use DVD Shrink to do just the main movie and it will work but keep in mind if you want to copy your copy in the future you will not be able to do so. The way this Sony protection is setup is that it adds quite a bit of encryption to the menu system on the disk with Bad sectors throughout the movie with the tail end credits using near the same encryption as the menus. Best advice is check out www.dvdidle.com and look at DVDIdle Pro or get a copy of AnyDVD. You can also try the free version of DVD43 (freeware) which will also do the job but is not updated as frequently as the commercial software and can be downloaded from www.dvd43.com. Please note that there is a lot of misconception about this program, the original was programed in China then a protion of the code was redone to produce DVD43 so DVD43 is a spinoff of the origianl DVD43 but not quite the same version. This is notable in DVDIdle Pro since it uses the origianl code and you can tell by the smiley icon that the freeware DVD43 was used from it. Using the freeware version of DVD43 with DVDShrink will do the entire movie for you but you will still end up burning bad sectors. Using DVD Decrypter you will still have the same issue but DVD Decrypter replaces the bad sectors with dummy sectors which are diferent (some will argue otherwise) and you will still have inconsistencies within your burn. Best advice is to purchase DVDIdle Pro or AnyDVD which both products will do a very good job at providing you a nice copy without bad or dummy sector problems.
    This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 23. April 2005 23:59.

Damn, sounds like an ad!

6. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Actually I'm an old timer at writing tech manuals and network administration along with programming. Excuse the lengthy replies but nonetheless I wanted to stress that using a good commercial product you can acheive better results than a free produsct. I tried all the software out there and after over 500 copies produced DVDFab Express outshines them all. Heck I even have Nero Ultra installed and use it only for CD-R's. Experience lends creedance to ones words.