1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something wrong with my XP???

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by DavGerm4, Jan 25, 2007.

1. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Alright, so we upgrade our PC from Windows ME, to XP, and it seems to be working great and all except for one thing. When I right-click on a file, or folder, or anything, it pops up an error message, that gives you the option to either "Send Error Report" or "Close". Does anyone know why this is happening? I really want to fix this problem?

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

May I ask.....how did you upgrade? Did you choose to overwrite ME, or wipe the drive and start new?

3. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

I put in the XP disc, and I chose the option to just upgrade, and keep all of my files.

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Microsoft's way of saying "yeah, it'll be fine works like a charm....trust me!"

and then not all is fine...

anywho....you can do a completely fresh install with your upgrade CD if it ends up that way...

So..on to the next question, do you have any right click menu options from 3rd party apps? Like burning options, encoding, converting options (used to convert .wav to .mp3) Winzip, Winrar? Things like that...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  5. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

I have Winrar, but I don't understand what you mean by "have any right click menu options from 3rd party apps?" what do you mean by that? I may just re-install Windows XP and see if it fixes the problem.

6. Molder

Molder Regular member

@DavGerm4,
    If I was you I would do a clean fresh format "full" hard drive install. Any apps or files you want to keep move over to another partition.

M

7. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

i agree with molder here.
    i find that sometimes when you install windows xp it can have tiny errors in it and if you install windows and theres somthing wrong with it theres no fixing it (even if reinstalling) windows is a good os but microsoft dont program it greatly sometimes and leave out parts planning to fix it in updates later which they never do... leading up to errors and blue screens of death.
    so if i was you i would cop all yoru files onto a dvd or any other storage device capable of holding all your files, format yoru hardrive, and instal windows.
    or you could partition your drive and install windows on that so you can always acess your old files but thats a little bit more advanced.

8. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Ok...it's just as it sounds Dav, right click menu options, are those listed when you right click a file...any file. Winzip, Winrar...programs like Acoustica MP3 Converter...Video converter software packages add right click menu options so you can use the program without actually having to launch the full app. Such as right clicking a large photo, going to Winzip, then Add To Winzip.... Those are right click menu extensions.

Not all of them are stable...and can cause the shell (explorer.exe) to crash even by clicking on a file or certain file types.

It's a good idea to stay and track down the problem first before reinstalling...or you could accidentally reinstall the app that caused the problem to begin with and be right back to square one.

9. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Alright you guys! Thanks for all of the info. As soon as I get home, I will try those and see if it works. Thanks again for the help!

**UPDATE** All of a sudden, my Right-click is starting to work. I think it was because of all the updates that it has been getting! So, thanks again for all of the help!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007