1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something's wrong... very wrong.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by getodawg, Mar 20, 2007.

1. getodawg

getodawg Member

Well, my computer worked fine until a little while ago, when the sound started messing up. Movies and CD's played, but the sound is blurry. It sounds like it's stuttering. (It's too hard to explain.) The cd's aren't scratched. There's nothing wrong with them.

I got this computer at the beginning of the year, and I doubt it should be messing up this early.

Advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

could just be the DVD drive. have you tried playing any video's on the PC and not through the DVD drive, like on youtube of getting your hands on a WMP or DivX?
    If those played fine i would have to say it was the drive. I have had them go bad after just a year of use so it is not uncommon, especially if you use them a lot.

3. onya

onya Guest

At least is under warranty. My first point of call would be the connections to and from the pc to the external speakers. This is assuming this is what you have and not internal monitor speakers. Check for loose fittings in particular, are they fully home in the jacks provided?. If you have a seperate sound card, ensure it also is fully home an seated correctly.

If you have onboard sound and non of the above things work, then there is a problem with the motherboard. It is malfunctioning (obviously) but it signifies that other functions may fail over time, and should be replaced post haste.

4. getodawg

getodawg Member

Well, I've checked the speakers, and I don't think that's the problem.

5. onya

onya Guest

The main reason for me not suggesting uninstallind and reinstalling driver software and the like, is that it (the pc) still may be under warranty. Why bother with solving their problem, if you get what I mean? A sound card is a fairly cheap item to replace, but I reiterate , let them sort it out. Your thoughts?

6. getodawg

getodawg Member

Good idea... but I want to try and fix the problem before I have to return the PC.

I'll give it about a week or so before I begin to use the power of "the warranty".

7. onya

onya Guest

"power of the warranty"...... Words to be wise. Make no mechanical alterations and all the obvious stuff that they may pick up on. Steimy is right. (sorry Steimy, I really didn't see your reply straight away). Try any and all types of files that you have to see if it's across the board (so to speak) or a particular type and/or program playing it/them.

8. getodawg

getodawg Member

Well, the music that I've had (downloads) are playing well. I just recently downloaded some stuff, and it sounds good. But it might be the DVD drive. It's only CDs, DVDs and such.