1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sometimes you got to burn your game at max speed

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by rdn98, Aug 25, 2007.

1. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

Well, I have some cheap DVD-R discs (GQ brand), but the media id says its SONY08D1 which would equal 1st class, so I'm cool with that.

Anyway, I was trying to backup Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, and the disc is rated for 16x, but for some reason my burner can only write at either 4x, 6x, or 8x for this particular kind of disc.

So I burnt the game at 4x, notice that the intro movie was skipping, and loading times were unbearable. Next I tried the gnie expert method of rebuilding just for kicks, burnt the iso at 4x, and noticed similiar results, very poor fps and skipping.

Then I burnt the game at 8x and it works flawlessly. So a word of advice to you guys out there, sometimes you have to burn either at 4x or 8x. If the game is skippy at 4x, burn at 8x.

Most games I did burn at 4x work fine, but I guess the more involved action oriented games with lots of fmvs need to be burnt at higher speeds.

2. schweet

schweet Guest

If it's an 8x speed disc burn at 4x, and if its a 16x speed disc burn at 8x.

Common knowledge round here.

3. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

news to me. however i do agree with rdn98, better results can sometimes be achieved by burning at a higher speed than normally recommended.

4. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

All I'm trying to say that there are times when you burn at 4x, and the game works flawlessly.

Then there are some games that you would think burn flawlessly at 4x just don't, then that is the tell-tale sign you need to up your burn speed.