1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sometimes you win....Sometimes you lose!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RZKYBZNZ, Apr 21, 2004.

1. RZKYBZNZ

RZKYBZNZ Member

Why is it that, at times, I can go and burn 3 or 4 DVDs with no problems using Nero than I would get an error out of the blue?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What error, exactly?

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

One word, MEDIA !

And now for a lot of words -

Memorex is a good example, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record.

Let’s get your media straightened out -

1. * Cheap media freezes, frazzles, skips and stutters, pixelats, palpitates, partially jams, partially rams, won’t play, doesn’t pay, won’t burn, can’t turn or won’t be accepted, could be deflected, may be rejected and lest we forget, our old standby, giving you the old just refuses to be recognized. :-( *(The preceding should be read out loud and with cadence and although the writer evokes LL, BUT meaning should be taken most seriously)
    Now that we've had a chuckle, lets get serious.

Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “cyclic redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Inexpensive media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    Ritek G04's or Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.

Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap discs and good copies from 3 Verbatim discs or 3 Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

Let's try the right media for the job -

Pete