1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonic & Great Azo Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by rlschneck, May 3, 2005.

1. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

I found these two brands of media in a 50 pack for 39 cent a piece ($19.96 total). They were both dvd+r 8x. First, are these discs reliable, second, is this a good price?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Not an especially good price. You can get branded ritek ridata most of the time for that price some with free shipping. If you keep you eyes open you can even find some TY's for that. Here are some media codes for sonic, nothing I would want to spend money on.

Sonic DVD-R 4x (LONGTEN001)
    Sonic DVD-R 4x (MUST001)
    Sonic DVD-R 4x (NANYA-JC001)
    Sonix DVD-R 4x (AN32........)

Mort

3. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

Mort,

Thank you for your reply. So, I take it from your comments that these are not reliable media?

My main concern is that the discs do not have a high failure rate. I want to buy 50 discs and have all 50 of them burn without fail. Secondly, I would like to get them as cheap as possible.

Thanks,
    Ryan

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

decent media doesn't cost much more than crappy or questionable media, but will save you absolutely loads as you will be able to burn without even having to check the discs. Buying media that is too cheapy will have you spending far too much time on forums such as this and less time actually enjoying your burns :)

5. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

good advice creaky.

[bold]So, here's the question that I would like everyone to answer:[/bold]

What specific brand and model of media do you buy, and where do you buy it?

I have found Ritek Ridata G04 4X DVD+R in a 50 pack for $24.96 at http://www.am-dig.com

You can get them cheaper if you buy a 100-pack ($46) or 200-pack ($80), but I am only interested in a 50-pack at this point.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

For the best chances of getting all the discs to burn w/out failures I would recommend verbatum datalifeplus (AZO dye), taiyo yuden (beware of fakes), maxell, or fuji. These may cost a little more initially but when you take into consideration the failures (coasters) from other less expensive media they are really less money in the long run.

There is no such thing as ridata G04 DVD+R. Ridata G04's are dvd-r only. Branded ritek ridata are good budget media but not quite as consistant as the media's named above. Some good places to shop are meritline.com, supermediastore.com, rima.com, and newegg.com.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Most of the good sales were last week. This week,best buy has tdk's on sale,but your post suggests you want dvd+r media,you may want to avoid plus format tdk's in the 4x and 8x speeds. Cmagnetics makes some of their media and are usually crappy. The dash format tdk's have some excellent manufacturers.

Plus format,if buying local,you can't beat maxell's. They are made by Hitachi/Ricohjpn/and Ritek and you shouldn't have to worry about what spindle or pack size to get. Very good quality media,but not on sale anywhere I know of this week. You can get them a lot cheaper on the net like mort81 posted.

I love those verbatim data life plus +8x. Very sweet.

Where do I buy them? Only on sale when staples/office depot/office max/walgreens. All well under 40 cents a piece,and I look on the label for Made in Japan. If you can find the sony +1x-8x on sale,they are very good,some are made by taiyo yuden.

8. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

well perhaps the site is wrong, but they are listed as dvd+r repeatedly. that prompts me to ask another, unrelated question: what is the real difference between the + and - formats. when i say real difference i mean, i know they're different formats that may only work with compatible burners, i know they have the same capactiy and perhaps different write speeds depending on the brand, but has one been proven more consistent and reliable, or is there really no real difference?

sorry if this is a stupid question, but i'm just curious. you don't have to answer if you don't want to... just a tangent from the subject at hand anyway.

so, ridata is considered budget and is perhaps one step down in quality from the ones that you've mentioned. some people seem to give them a little more credit than that. but, let's say that i did want to go with the tried-and-true name brands. what is a good price for a 50-pack? i would assume that i should not pay more than 50 cents a disc?

thanks for all of the feedback!

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What's the difference between plus and dash?
    Not a whole lot,it all comes down to compatability.

It's all up to the many different burners and stand alones.Some of the stand alones prefer both formats/plus/dash/or none. It's really trial and error. I have no trouble with any format on my own drives,but do have trouble on a couple stand alones with the dash format from both my benq's on several family and friends players.

Burners are also different,my benq's have the bitsetting capability to booktype dvd+r/rw media to dvd-rom making them a lot more compatable. Not all burners have this option. Quite a few dual format burners on their specifications state they burn dash media slower than the plus format.This is no biggie.4x is the usual recommended speed if you want near perfect backups and great playback.

When it comes to the same brand name,same spindle-pack size, the quality can vary considerably between both formats and even quantity size. Just like those tdk's I posted earlier.

The only media I pay more than 40 cents a piece,is the verbatim data life plus +8x full hub printables. They run about 70 cents a piece,but well worth it. I only pay 35-40 cents a piece when they are on sale.
    I do love maxells in the 25 and 50 packs. They have some great manufacturers in either format. I also recommend them because their mfgs are reliable no matter which pack/spindle size you get,but I found out cmags make some of the dash media in the 5 packs and it got me bummed out. You can't trust maxell now.Just look for made in Japan on maxell/sony/fuji/ and maybe tdk? They usually have the japanese spindles mixed together with the taiwanese.

10. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've got about 60 of them left.0 coasters. They should be ty-g01 and are very good. Pretty good price. You should be ok. Some members do have a little trouble with online stores,but supermediastore and rima are highly rated.

12. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i hear someone calling me....could it be rlschneck? hehehe

anyways, look in my sig, i have THOUSANDS of those discs...they are a good price for good media, they are authentic TYs and i have had countless flawless burns with them. only a FEW people on here have actually disagreed with me due to receiving a bad batch, and others have even gotten lucky and received the TYGO2s rather than the TYG01s(4x TY dvd-r in your link)

anyways, i highly recommend these and have quite a few friends on here that will stand behind my recommendation as well. good luck to you and happy burning~

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would have to agree with saugmon and kivory on those TY's. Don't think you can go wrong there. Good media, good price.

14. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

pull the trigger, you won't regret it for the price~ :)

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

and of course i have to step in here with my Verbatim suggestion. My Sony eats -R 8x datalifeplus like it's life depends on them. Any player (standalone - expensive or cheapy, PS2 etc) i have used them on have played 100% after many 100s burnt ([bold]at 4x for me[/bold]).

16. bratcher

bratcher Active member

"do you think these discs are the real deal:

http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.me...4x-dvd-r-media-silver-matte-spindles-100.html

is that a good price, should i pull the trigger?"

I just did at 25 cents a disc for 1200 of those 4x TY's. I can burn these with my Plextor 716A at 8x with no problems. Bought some 2 weeks ago (100 pack) & they were great! Why so many you wonder? 4x media isn't made anymore so I thought I'd stock up. It should last me a year or two (both as data DVD's & also for my Pioneer DVD video recorder with it's 80 GB hard drive.

Of course I could burn my 15 free 8x DVD's (a one time Plextor deal through Discmarket) at 16x, again with no problems.

Since they are making 16x DVD media now I suspect the 8x media to be discontinued soon with cheap prices from the online shops later this year.

17. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i eat 1200 TYGO1s for lunch in any given month~ :) you are just fine if you just dropped down some $$$ for 1200 of them, i got 1,800 of those in your link last month from supermediastore, i don't see why your purchase would be any different than my own :)

flawless backups, i keep THESE particular ones at 4x burning speed only just to ensure a steady burn..but, my pioneer can burn these at 8x much like your plextor, i just choose to be on the safe side due to the fact that these are manufacturer rated at 4x.

i agree with your reasoning though, as to why you would stock up now, i felt the same way you did last month and from various media outlets, got my hands on well over 2,500 TY discs LAST MONTH, also with the intent of "stocking up" as you said.

good luck to you~ happy burning.

18. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I'm currently working on a spindle of 50 of the TY DVD-R (4x) and 50 TY DVD+R (8x) from Supermediastore because I wanted to see if my new Pioneer DVR-109 likes either one any better. They're great discs and I'd reccomend either one in a second. And if you look at Ritek 4x DVD+R they should be R03 instead of G04.

19. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I have purchased TY 4x from supermediastore and TY 8x from meritline, they have both tested out excellent on Plexitools. Whereas the tests on my Verbatim movie reel that I purchased last week from BestBuy are coming up at good. Believe me it is TY all the way from now on.

20. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

arniebear,
    i also have plextools. can you tell me how to "test" media?

to all,
    thanks for all of the great advice!