1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONIC -R MEDIA HOW LONG DO THEY LAST??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by JAYRA, Dec 9, 2004.

1. JAYRA

JAYRA Member

Has anyone purchased the cheap Sonic -R media for $14 for 50 discs & free shipping from shop4tech.com It is really awesome media, I have ordered about 200 DVD's and only 1 coaster. I have been very happy with how great my backup dvd's are coming out. I have been using DVD Shrink wich is really working out perfect. The reason I am posting this thread is because I have been hearing from some of my friends that cheap DVD's such as sonic and other cheap media use cheap dye and they will most usually degrade & last a year or less. I was guessing that they ment that they were a little rough on there DVD's like not storing them in cases
    and keeping them clean. Well yesterday 4 of my DVD's that has been stored for about 3 months that worked perfect were now skipping. I thought my DVD player was broke and bought a new SONY DVD player and same problem. All of my really old ritek copies still work fine but, every now and then the cheap media that worked fine when I first copied them I have skipping problems. Any thought's to what type of media I should be purchasing no matter how much it costs?? PLEASE HELP!!

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I,m really not sure where your problem are but if you read all the expert's reviews on the internet (not what the average joe says on forums) Dont get me wrong most people in these forums are a great help and asset, but the experts that test all the media with all of there big fancy expensive equipment might know a little more about this subject, and just about everyone of them say any DVD if stored and taken care of properly will last 20 to 100 years so I'm really not sure how they could be bad after 3 month's no matter which brand media you used.

Now that being said all the experts also say that using good media will improve the quality of your burn for example less likely to have skip's or freeze up. So it can never hurt to buy good media, and just because it is cheap in price dosen't mean it is bad. I bought some Sonic -R media from that same dealer before and they where TY02 disk (supposed to be top notch) I'm not sure if TaiyoYuden still manufactures for them or not? Or who else manufactures these disk I may have just got lucky? I didn't have any problems with them and the ones I burned on over a year ago still play fine.
    I don't know for sure but everywhere I have looked says the disk (even the worst ones) should last over 20 years (not really sure how they would know that DVD hasent been around that long). Hell by then there won't be DVD's anymore anyway :) remember the record album?? or 8 track tape??
    I would say to be safe stick with the more reputable company's that manufacture DVD media and you should be alright..

Good Luck :)
    Also here is a little reading on this subject
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.12

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  3. tomripley

tomripley Member

Actually, no. To quote the article you link to: "cheap recordable DVDs may produce errors when recording or may become unreadable after a while." So yes, this can indeed happen.

The expected lifetime of at least 20 years is based on the disks being produced properly, which might not always be the case for cheap media. I would agree that three months is remarkably short, but I've heard similar stories in the past.

Also, just because a disk has a certain manufacturer id does NOT mean that you can absolutely be sure that it has indeed been made by that company. These things can be faked. Personally I find it somewhat unlikely that a budget brand like Sonic would hire Taiyu Yuden to make their media, when they could probably get it done cheaper by some factory in China or Taiwan.

To the original poster: You could try testing the disks in your computers dvd-drive, if you want to be absolutely sure that the disks have indeed died on you.

As for reliable media most of the big brands should be solid enough - Verbatim, Maxell, genuine Taiyu Yuden should all work fine. Pick a reputable vendor and stick with branded media if possible.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  4. kchev

kchev Regular member

you have indeed been bitten by worthless media

i hope other people take note of this thread also and realize that this can happen

5. kchev

kchev Regular member

tomripley

i couldn't have said it better myself

most bad discs do come from improper handling and/or storage, BUT there is a small percentage that fail from cheap manufacturing

6. JAYRA

JAYRA Member

Thanks for all the help, I have tested pretty much most of my 3 month old Sonic DVD -R 1x 2x media and they either don't work or they just skip. I have tested them all on about 6 DVD players including my Xbox and my recent purchase of a new sony dvd player so I've totally called it quits with the Sonic 1x 2x Discs. These definently are not Taiyo Yudens. I posted a thread about my FUGI experience

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/135108

I also decided since everybody has been having such a good expierence with the latest 8x Sonics that are supposedly maybe Taiyo Yudens. I ordered 100 of those puppy's and as far as Sonic goes for me these are worse than the 1x 2x media. The 1x 2x at least makes a great copy until you store it for a while. I can't make a clean copy without it being very ovbiously fuzzy or pixelated. It's not like I'm copying the full disc just the movie only. The best luck I've had so far would be the Fugi 8x DVD-R from Best Buy that was made in Japan NOT Taiwan be carful to check the back label because the outer wrapping does not differ. To bad they sold out of the Fugi I would have bought more if I knew how awesome they were. Now I have to venture off for some new media, any Ideas??

7. tomripley

tomripley Member

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. My opinion about this Sonic media should be pretty clear to everyone by now (ie. they're fakes), so I'll leave it at that.

Depends on how much you're villing to pay. Genuine Taiyo Yuden - available at rima.com - is probably the safest bet. Verbatim is also more than likely to work well, as long as you stick to their 4x/8x/16x media.

If you're looking for something cheaper, try Prodisc (DVD+R) or Optodisc. Neither are as good as the ones mentioned above, but they aren't total crap either. Stay far away from Princo and anything that is suspiciously cheap.

8. teefyum

teefyum Member

Im a longtime (1+ year) user of Sonic media.
    Well mabe not that long, but only had problem with movies that got hairline scratches/scuffs.
    The media seems to be sensitive to minor hairline when playuing movies so you need to keep your movies in a safe place :> My dvd-rs still play fine though.
    I also burn them at rated speed or at slower speed to get a prefect backup.

Have backups of PC & PS2 and still seem to work fine from over a year ago.

Seem like the cheapest DVD-Rs out there that work well for me.

If your drive it compatible 'SONICS' x2 $22 for 100pack
    are nice media;
    http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=2422&cata=1&s_cata=88

or x4 $25 for 100pack
    http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=2423&cata=1&s_cata=88_r33

9. tomripley

tomripley Member

I don't want to be rude, but these discs have now been officially confirmed as fakes (see bbmayo's last post):
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/134768

On top of this there have been several reports both on this forum and elsewhere of people having problems with them, so I'd very strongly recommend NOT to buy them.