1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 48x Burner will only burn at 17-23x Speed MAX

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by HRGiger, Nov 25, 2002.

1. HRGiger

HRGiger Guest

I just recently bought a Sony 48x24x48x burner and nero will only burn at around 17-23x max burn speed.

Is there something i am doing wrong? Its set to max 48x (7200)

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Does Sony adjust it's speed according to the used media?

3. mhoope01

mhoope01 Member

My guess is the lack of oomph from your system... often most burners (Hard and Software included) will burn through at whatever speed you select, rather than stop at the media's specifications.
    If you do have an "ooomphy" system with lots of memory and processor power, its probably time to defragment the HD.
    Another reason may be that if you are burning files from the computer, it slows it down loads if there are lots of little files (which are naturally spread all over the drive) -- One long 700meg file will possibly get up to 48x, but many small ones never will.

80/23 = 3.4 Minutes. Is that really too long to wait for a cd to burn? How much is it worth to you, what you are burning? It should be worth that wait 8^)

4. HRGiger

HRGiger Guest

Someone told me that the reason for the lower than max burns is because of my hardrives seek times.

I have a p3-933 w/ 384 megs ram, A 40gig WD and a 60gig WD drives.

Its not the idea of how important the burn is, Its the fact that I want what I paid for.

Mainly I burn BINS and a some other stuff.

The 2 drives I have, The 40 is freshly reformatted and the 60 is brand new.

I'm not quite sure if Sonys drives adjust the speed to match the media. I am using 48x certified cds.

Its usually not 23x, It mainly max's out at around 17-18x

5. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

No way. You hardware should be sufficient, since my P3-500/256/40gb Seagate/13gb Maxtor burns fine at 44x using my Yammie F1.

You are talking about "23x", "17-18x". Now these are not regular speedsteps, so there must be buffer underruns happening.

Check that your HDs and the sony utilize DMA mode in Winodws. Defrag your HDs.

6. HRGiger

HRGiger Guest

So should I check the box under devices/cdroms and make sure the DMA is on for the harddrives and burner? What difference does that usually make (Having the DMA checked) on hardware?

All I want is to be able to burn at the speeds I bought the burner for.

If its any consolation, I am running win98, Should I run ME or XP?

In the so-called manual, Under System Requirements, It doesnt say 98 is supported, Just 98SE, 2000pro, ME, XP Home or Pro, Would that make a difference? (If it does, I'll upgrade to XP Pro)

Should I also turn off Auto-Insert on all as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2002
  7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Why on earth are you running Win98!? It's stone age kernel can't utilize your CPU to the max. Windows2000 is the most stable OS at the moment. With XP your mileage may vary.

DMA mode increses through put and decreases CPU usage. It is a necessity for high speed burning. Auto-insert has no effect.

8. HRGiger

HRGiger Guest

Thanx for all your help, I will change the DMA settings on both the burner and the drives and see what that does.

As for 98, I was usin ME, But with it, I was running into soo many crashes, etc, That I wished to go back to 98, And when I did go back, It appeared all the problems went away. With ME, My resources seem to vanish quite often, But so far w/ 98, It hasnt hardly messed with it (Go figure).

I dont have Win2000

9. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

ME is based on the same 95/98 core, but somehow manages to be even worse. Windows 2000, like XP, is based on the NT core and is much more efficient. XP however manages to contain a shitload of bugs again.

10. HRGiger

HRGiger Guest

Well After defragging all drives and turning on DMA, I got it to work @ 48x speed (Thank god)

Thanx so much for all your help

Much Appreciated

11. DOORMAN

DOORMAN Guest

thanx for that but i had already read this befor i posted my problem.
    i know i should have given this bit of info beforhand,
    i am useing xp pro and canot find the dma to uncheck it anyone know where i can find it????