1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 6800 6.1 system always in "protect" mode, wth?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by VJbob, Oct 6, 2004.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

Recently bought this system since its brand new and looks great for about $600. Then watched a couple of movies. . .no problem. Now 2 months later I watch Star Wars trilogy. When a planet blows up the receiver turns off the sound and flashes "PROTECT" then shuts itself off. This happened about 9 times during the movie including the part where Luke blows up the Death Star. Since it takes time to turn back on again I don't get to hear Han Solo say "great shot kid, that was one in a million". Arrggghh. Whats going on? DO I have to reconnect all my wires again? I definitely wasn't playing anything too loud.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

It's the bass.
    Bass takes all the current (all the watts).
    People who purchase powered subwoofers find that their once-wimpy main amplifier (it's a miracle!) is powerful once again...
    So turn the bass down, and you won't have to be so careful with the volume.
    Or, leave the bass (but watch the volume!) It's your choice.
    Option 3 is the powered subwoofer.
    One thing that might help you is good speaker wire - 14 gauge (minimum) stranded copper, that 18-20 gauge stuff is crap.
    Using good wires, and watching the bass and volume (to an amp, they are really the same thing: work!) and you should be okay.
    Another important thing is good cooling for the amp.
    If it is on a rack behind glass-doors, and you are working it, it will overheat.
    You can test this by pulling it out and blowing a fan on it during operation - bingo, no more 'protect' problems.
    Attention to all these matters (a little help from each) will probably make the difference for you :)
    Regards

3. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

By amplifier do you mean the receiver? Also I've been using the 14 gauge monster wire but I run it under the carpet and there is a huge heavy table on the rug over some wires. Was thinking that might be the culprit. Also, the subwoofer is at about 25% but the volume is at about 85%. I'll try adjusting that.

Since the A/V area is pretty cramped and sitting on the DVD player maybe its getting hotter quickly. I'll try to ventilate it somehow and hopefully everything will turn out fine.