1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY 8X DVD BURNER

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by unclebob9, Mar 30, 2004.

1. unclebob9

unclebob9 Guest

Hey,

I'm buying a Sony 8X DVD Burner. Look here:
    http://www.sony.com.au/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22109#MID1.jsp?

Would there be huge difference in performance (DVD Shrink, DVD Ripper etc) between these two computers: I know the obvious choice is the pentium 4 , but what do you think.

Intel Motherboard
    P4 3.0GHZ (800mhz FSB)
    1 GB (2x512) 3200 DDR
    Seagate 120GB 8mb cache hardisk

Asus Motherboard
    Celeron 1.2GHZ
    512mb SD RAM
    Seagate 40GB Hardisk

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2004
  2. movie_777

movie_777 Member

Just wanted to let you know that the link you posted is for a Sony DVD ROM and not DVD-RW.

And yes there will be a huge difference in performance for the two systems you mentioned. The P4 C models use hyper threading (HT) technology which lets one processor act like two processors. I have a P4 2.8 GHz C with HT technology which I built recently and compared to my old P4 1.8 GHz machine this one leaves it in the dust. Also the DDR memory allows for twice the data bandwidth compared to the old PC100 or PC133 which will definitely improve performance as well.

Hope this help.

3. unclebob9

unclebob9 Guest

yeah sorry buddy. The link went to the next line and it didn't include all of it

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

had a look at the link you put out ,just curious how much in australian dollars are they expecting you to pay for a sony 8x +/- dvd burner.LG'S can be got for under 160.00 dollars, and the site didnt say.

5. unclebob9

unclebob9 Guest

In australia the Sony 8x DWU18A10 OEM (no box or software) can be bought for around $200 Australian. The LG 8x equivalent can be bought for around $188 australian. Whats your opinion on which is better?. I only ever used Sony drives, and had never had a problem.
    Which one is better for ripping movies, burning DVD files etc:

Sony 8X IDE DVD Dual format DWU18A10:
    OR

LG 8X IDE DVD Super Multi Dual format GSA-4081B :

Thankx

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2004
  6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey herbsman like the way you think, i still run a pioneer A106 plus a dvd rom as well.Although 8 spin +/- dvd burners are available rumor has it that 32 spin will be out with in 6 months in Australia.Currently LG 8spin +/- are here at the price of 160.00 aussie but there is no 8x - media but + media is available (still waiting).(spoke to a hongkong company mda couldnt give a release date yet)

In comparrison however i read somewhere that a test was done using blu ray and they managed to get 21gig onto a disc.Whats going to be the best choice in the end or will we require both red and blue machines types.

Unclebob9 as for the sony and the LG they are both good machines of which i have used both but the LG seems to be picky with the media it uses and the sony didnt have a prob with at all.(by the way live in vic)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2004
  8. herbsman

Dual Layer is the next way forward , forget going at mach 3 for burn speed ;-)

The Pioneer 107 will burn at X8 on X4 Ritek G04 DVD-R with the right firmware btw - plus it is rumoured that if/when the firmware can be cracked that you might actually be able to burn as Dual-Layer (which'd be nice)
    Burn starts off at X6 going on to speed upto X8 , the 107 is being sold in U.K for £87 + V.A.T at the moment (well cheap) lol

P.S. Still using a Pioneer 104 f/w 1.40 myself

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thanxs for the info:

what are your thought s on blu ray?

10. herbsman

Japanese Hype !!! LOL

I dunno really , it if ever becomes available in the rest of the world & I get to check it out ... I'll let ya know ;-)

11. drchips

drchips Active member

Hmmmm...

What use is blu-ray to the majority of people if the existing DVD Players (standalone and PC based) cannot read the disk???

As for 32x spin on DVDs, can you imagine how fast the disk will be spinning!!!!

I am sure I have seen a technical document somewher that said that 16x is the fastest that will be released due to the disk tending to fly apart at higher speeds (will have to Google for it).

Have Fun....

12. Nuke

Nuke Member

I've read the same thing in CPU magazine and would have posted a link but you need a paid subsciption. I've scanned the article from March issue.

Philips Demos
    16X DVD+R

First, the good news: With 8X DVD burners just starting to come to market, Philips recently announced that its research labs have achieved DVD+R disc burning at 16X speeds. Philips, credited with co inventing the original CD Audio and CD ROM technologies with Sony, had to develop new tools to achieve the mark. According to Philips Research spokesperson Koen Joosse, these included improvements in the disc material, the development of a suitable write strategy, improvements of the focus and tracking system of the laser, and fast laser electronics”

The bad news is that like every DVD speed increase before 16X, the improvement won’t help improve DVD-Video playback. More significantly 16X is the brick wall for conventional DVD burning. “With this development, the speed race for DVD+R will come to an end, as it has reached its limiting value,” says Joosse. For DVD+RW, the highest writing speed is 4X. Dedicated high - speed methods are needed to increase this further, and these are developed separately. The same is true for the double-layer DVD- R technology Philips also recently announced. Here, the initial writing speed will be 2.4X, so here also dedicated high-speed methods could yield future improvements”

The 16X limit is largely a factor of the disc material’s mechanical stability. With linear velocities already reaching more than 200 kilometers per hour at 16X, higher rotation speeds may actually break the media. Moreover, there are limits involved in the heating/cooling times in burning conventional media.