1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony BDP-S560 and LTH blank media

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by rulisky, Aug 24, 2010.

1. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I am looking to buy a Blu Ray burner for my computer and want to be sure the disks I create are compatible with my Sony BDP-S560 player.

I note that LTH blank discs are cheaper and have compatibility issues with some players. I can choose a burner for my PC, but can not get reliable info regarding my standalone Sony player. On the one hand, email support from Sony says "No". On the other hand, I found the owners manual for my model online at Sony and Page 67 says it "supports" LTH media.

I contacted Sony directly by phone and pointed out this seeming contradiction. The guy on the phone looked it up and said it does "support" LTH media, but that does NOT means it "plays" it.

WHAT??!!

So, does anyone here have first hand experience to either confirm or deny that the BDP-S560 actually PLAYS LTH media once you have burned your recorded Blu Ray??

Thank you.

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Guess no one has a standalone player like mine or has not encountered this question.

Since posting the original question, I have been able to resolve the issue. Contacted Verbatim for advice since they make the LTH media and informed them of the ignorant response I got from Sony hoping they would have better info. Verbatim was kind enough to send me two FREE samples of LTH BD-R media to test. Way to go!!

Using a Lite-On iHBS112 burner, the test media did not work on my first attempt to burn files to it using ImgBurn. Don't know what caused the hiccup. Decided to retry the same disk and it seemed to burn the picture files this second time with no problems. Then tried to view the pictures after burning and got the following error message:

"Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows".

Simple jpeg images. Out of curiosity, I tried the disk in the Sony BDP-S560 anyway. The pictures played flawlessly in the standalone BD machine! So, it seems that Lite-On can burn LTH but not play it - even though the files are clearly on the disk and play on my separate machine.

Go figure. Hope this info helps some one else out there.