1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony burner

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bloonight, May 7, 2004.

1. bloonight

bloonight Guest

Hi all and I hope someone can help. I have a Sony DVD RW DRU-500a 2X burner.I am running it on a PIII 733 MHZ system with 256 MB's RAM, 30 GB hard drive and 128MB Video card.It was given to me by a friend who was running it on basically the same systems under Windows XP. He was using the newest version on Shrink DVD and COPY TO DVD. On his system it worked great but when I burn a backup I get a DVD that will play on my computer but not on any DVD player. The error read "no disk" or "please insert disk".I have tried a half a dozen DVD players up to and including 2 all region all formats DVD players that can play a slice of cheese if you put it in but not my backups. I am using Memorex 4X DVD+R media and it does everything right and tells me the burn was a success but nothing happens when you play it. The really screwy thing is that when I burn to a re-writable,either DVD-R or DVD+R the copy will play but nothing else works when burned.I have been to the Sony site and downloaded the newest firmware updates for my burner but still nothing works. I have tried Nero but it doesn't seem to be as sucessful as COPY TO DVD. Any suggestions please and thanks all.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Try a different brand of media. Memorex is on the BLACK list at this time. Very poor quality media. They don't make it they buy it and put Memorex name on it. Try some Ritek or Verbatim media.

Jerry

3. bloonight

bloonight Guest

Thanks Jerry......I was told that once before but didn't understand why there would be a problem with a name brand like memorex.....too bad it's all Future shop and Walmart sell....any idea who carrys it nationally? And can you confirm if what I encountered is correct? I was using Memorex re-writables and not having any problems and I was told that's because they have to be a higher quality for re-writing......Thanks again.

4. bloonight

bloonight Guest

P.S. one more thing Jerry......are Fuji DVD+R's any good?

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Fuji has a pretty good rep at this time. Haven't heard any horror stories about them. The problem with Memorex media is they may buy from several different companies at the same time. So one person may have bad luck with it while another says they are great. You just can't trust it. Re-writable discs are usually a better quality but I've read posts about trouble with Memorex RW also. Download DVDinfopro. Its a little program that can tell you who made the media you are using. Also has a lot of goodies like drive information, burn speed checks, etc.
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com.

Jerry

Last edited: May 7, 2004