1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony dcr-trv840

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by ojlighter, May 1, 2005.

1. ojlighter

ojlighter Member

hi everyone this is my first post.

just recently i came back from a trip and ihave some video from the camcorder iwant to put on vcd. i installed the imagemixer that came with the camcorder and and got the driver/etc all set up. fired upthe program and somehow transfered the video clips i found from the trip.

my problem is the quality is terrible. u its worse than watching your little brother scribbling. is there anyway to fix the quality so its at least vhs quality? (quality is really choppy and shaky).

the program i am using is "PIXELA ImageMixer Ver.1.0 for Sony"
    trasfering with USB cable.
    burning with Nero 6.3.0.3. bundle pack

any help would be much appreciated.

2. ARyall

ARyall Guest

Hi, I used this prog a few times but it was crap! To do it properly you should consider one of the other progs out there. there are a no. of demos on the web but before you commit to buying first consider how much you'll use it after this time. Also how did you connect to the PC? was it USB 1, USB 2 or firewire? this will greatly influence the quality of the capture.

3. ojlighter

ojlighter Member

hey thanks for replying, im on a usb 1/2 still crap quality. as far as a new program, do you recommend any? that trip cost me all my money so i dont think i have much left to spend on any expensive program.

4. ARyall

ARyall Guest

i'm using a Mac G4 powerbook which came with a bunch of software already. I've heard windows moviemaker is OK, Adobe Premier is quite involved for a beginner (too many options, too much to learn) Pinnicle Studio is on a par with Premier but just as complex. for a real proffesional look there is Final Cut Pro costs a bunch and takes a bit to learn, ( i'm told, I don't use it any of these yet) The progran that came with my powerbook is more than adequate for my needs, imovie. This is an area I'm just getting into so my advice is still young, keep asking around and you may come across a trial version of something you could use. Or even better, a mate who already has the setup who could capture it for you.
    Good Luck!

5. wylie31

wylie31 Member

Think your problem is that the dcr-trv840’s USB is a typeI. I have the same issue with my dcr-trv50. The 840 manual shows the device manager window examples as not being typeII. This means that the quality is very limited and only good for video streaming for webcasting. USB 1 is 10 Mega bits per second and the Sony 1394 firewire (which they call i.link) is 100 Mega bits per second. On page 94 of the manual it states that for quality Digital to Digital transfer you need to use the 1394.

You need to get a 1394 firewire cable to get quality downloads (and hope sony supported the 840 better than my 50 which is another story). If your computer does not have a 1394 connection you can find a 1394 PCI bus card very cheaply.

6. DVDCO

DVDCO Member

Hi folks,
    I got the Sony TRV 740E digital 8 which Ive had a while now and although I've used Firewire to PC and copied to DVD I have not seen an image any better than a third generation VHS copy . When I play the camcorder straight into the TV it's great. I've got the Pixela from Sony : HP DVD came with Sonic, "record now" etc. I must be doing something wrong.
    Question: I have an Nvidia Ge Force FX 5900 installed on the PC. My slots are full----do I need a capture card for video ?--If so , where would it go.

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  7. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

If you captured through Firewire you're OK. You don't need a video capture card. (read the basic articles at http://www.digitalvideoclub.com )
    If you end up with a bad quality DVD the encoding process is to blame. You may have used a low bitrate while encoding. Also ,in general the built-in encoders in authoring programs (as you have) are not as good as stand alone encoders. Get yourself the trial verison of TMPGEnc and use that to encode your avi's (using a bitrate of 7000-8000kb/s) and use those to burn your DVD's.

8. DVDCO

DVDCO Member

Thanks TPFKAS, I'll try that. I've just registered over on digital video club.