1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Digital 8 To PC ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by slwukuk, May 8, 2007.

1. slwukuk

slwukuk Member

We've had a Sony DCR-TRV145E PAL (Digital 8) camcorder for a few years but have only just decided to see if we can transfer the footage we have stored on our Hi8 cassettes, over to our PC. We are wanting to store all our recordings onto a DVD. Is that at all possible with our type of camcorder. Have tried searching the internet for some drivers for said camcorder but can't find anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated ;)

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

Does your camcorder have an "iLink" connection? If so, then that's the Firewire port, which is what you use to hook up your PC.

If not, then you'll have to buy D/A converters which are not too expensive.

3. slwukuk

slwukuk Member

Where will I get a D/A converters. Any links (am in the uk mind), would be great.

4. docami

docami Member

If your pc has IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK) then I suggest you get a IEEE 1394 (iLink(DV-out)/FireWire) DV Cable FOR MAC/PC. I just bought one off ebay for $4. This cable ensures you are able to keep original video quality. But you can always transfer the video to pc with a usb cable if you have the output on the camcorder. I am doing this now with Sony DCR-TRV38. I transferred via usb and it was all choppy but when I used the firewire it was awesome!! hope this helps.

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/33/59/
    there are other tutorials on that site that might help as well.

Best wishes!!

5. slwukuk

slwukuk Member

My motherboard does not have firewire on it. It's a Abit KV8 754 motherboard. What leads will work for me?

6. docami

docami Member

7. whassup

whassup Regular member

You can get something like an ATI All-in-Wonder which accepts normal video/audio connections (I think).

An example of an external D/A converter is the Canopus products. However, I'm sure there are other makers.
    http://www.canopus.com/products/videoconversion.php

If your camcorder does have a Firewire port, then all you need to do is buy a Firewire card (PCI) and cable. Most cards will throw in the software.

8. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

You can get a pci capture card or breakout box to run your video to your PC to make a dvd movie some video cards can do this also you may need a burning program to convert the file to avi such as Nero, Pinnacle, Adobe etc

9. Playr

Playr Regular member

Very nice guide. Thanks for the link.

BTW, I think getting the add-on PCI firewire is the way to go. That way he can keep the best res and the card is not that expensive anyway.

10. slwukuk

slwukuk Member

Got it sorted. Bought meself a PCI firewire card today. Works spot on. Thanks for all advice given yeah :)

11. Ebaby

Ebaby Guest

12. Ebaby

Ebaby Guest

I have a TRV145E I juat bought a firewire card complete with cable it was only £10.
    I put it into my pc and it installed automatically. You dont need to buy anything els. When you plug your camcorder in it will recognise it as a sony camcorder you can then use windows movie maker to transfer you video to your pc and burn it to a cd

Hope that was help to you

Ebaby