1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony drive won't burn below 4x!!! please help!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Acoustic7, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Acoustic7

Acoustic7 Member

I have tried everything I think. I have a sony DRU-710a. I have bought Verbatim, Fuji and maxell dvd-r's. All of them say they support 1-4x speed. When I try to burn anything, DVD Decrypter and Nero will only burn at 4x. I cannot chose anything else. On dvd decrypter it says 4x under supported write speeds and nothing else. I just bought this drive and this has been a problem ever since I installed it. There is no Firmware update for this drive. I wouldn't mind so much other then my Ps2 backups. I have searched the threads and people are only getting GTA San andreas to play properly when burning it at 1-2x. I am all out of ideas please help guys!! thanx

2. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

Is this the only speed option you get with a blank disc in the drive, like it would give you the maximum speed only to burn at if there is no disc in the drive.

3. wcampbell

wcampbell Member

Hey Biosgain!
    Buy the cheap noname blank dvd's , There speed is usually 1 to 2x. I'm using a 530 and a 710A , and my two hour movies are burning in 15min. using a 4x blank.
    So ya, the Sony's tend to give you max speed.
    Also I didn't like the newer nero software disc, so I use the older Veritas software that came with the sony 510A , it's more controlable, but I'm set to max burn. GOOD LUCK

4. Acoustic7

Acoustic7 Member

Do you know where to get good 1-2x dvd-4 media ?
    I checked around and the only 1-2x I can find is Sonic dvd-r's....

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

ritek g04 should burn at 1-4x

6. Acoustic7

Acoustic7 Member

I have a sony burner that auto sets the burn speed(that's what sony told me)therefore in order to burn at 1-2x, I need media that is 1-2x, not 1-4x

7. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

I have a sony 510A. Just a question, Why do you want or need to burn below 4X? I usually burn at 4X no problem but I am not an expert. What would be the advantage of burning below 4X?
    I use RecordNow that came with my sony drive and maxell media. I use to use memorex but got alot of coasters, no coasters using maxell so far after about 40 burns.

8. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

Nevermind, I see that you need to to burn under 4X for your Ps2 game to work. Sorry, I don't know anything about that but I checked my RecordNow burnner program that came with my Sony drive and it has an option for 1x and 2x. If you have that program I would try it.

9. wcampbell

wcampbell Member

As I said, using the older Veritas Software you can set the burn rate. But beware, it will not copy protected media.