1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY DRU-510 burns till 80% then QUITS.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BoemBoem, Mar 24, 2004.

1. BoemBoem

BoemBoem Member

My great Sony DVD drive burns DVD+R mostly up to 80% and then provides me with an WRITE ERROR.
    It does burn CD-R/RW ok. In my computer is denotes the drive as a CD Drive. I use Nero 6, but Roxio 7 gives the same message. HELP. Or is my drive just physically f...ed up ?
    I have upgraded to 1.0f (Firmware). In the Recording Tab the box is unticked for burning CD's.

2. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

hiya boemboem.

first thing is roxio and nero will not play nicely together on the same pc and will normally cause problems......i'd advise you get rid of one of them (i personally would ditch roxio) then try again.

if you still have this problemi would look towards the quality of the media you are using.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there BoemBoem, Welcome to our little Club -

The truth be told, there isn'teven the slightest question about it - if you want DVD burning software on your PC, say Bye, bye to Roxio. To say it was a pretty crappy program would be to give it a major compliment -

Anyway, after uninstalling it, uninstall Nero too - it has been corrupted by Roxio. Reboot, to clean Roxio out. Reinstall Nero, reboot - to help it settle in and then - you'll really need to get your media up to DVD standard.
    1. Cheap media skips, freezes, fuzzes, pixelats, partially jams and of course, our good old standby, either doesn’t burn or doesn’t play at all or refuses to even be recognized :-(

Cheap media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A top grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    Ritek G04's or Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.

Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 to around a dollar a disc -

Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap discs and good copies from 3 Verbatim discs or 3 Ritek G04 discs - which ones then are too expensive ?

With those changes made, you should be in truly fine shape :D)

Pete

4. BoemBoem

BoemBoem Member

thx for replying. Will follow your instructions. Hope it will work. I have read -i think- all the other threads about similar issues, and it doesn't make me hope full. I have used MMore disks with MAKROLON and TDK's.
    Anyways, get back to you guys later.
    THX

5. buxton

buxton Regular member

I get this on a daily basis, failed burns and calibration errors, IT CAN indicate a faulty burner, but as ScubaPete touched on, 9 times out of ten it is cheap or incompatible media.

My advice would be to buy one decent disk, get a branded Ritek G4, make sure it is deep purple in colour, and see if it happens again, don't buy a pack of 25 to find it was a broken drive.

I have a Pioneer 106 and use BulkPaq Orange, they are dirt cheap disks, you can get 25 for under £10 UK, haven't had one failed burn yet at 4* both DVD rips and DivX conversions, they play on my Pioneer525, PS2, and whatever everyone that has borrowed them has at home.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I don't know what I am doing.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004