1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony dru-510a and ritek g05 getting power calibration error

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by BlackHood, Nov 23, 2004.

1. BlackHood

BlackHood Member

I saw what power calibration error is but these are ritek g05? supposed to be great media

I have a dw-u14a drive. It will not burn on memorex 8x dvd-r discs. I went and ran nero tool on the disc and they are ritek g05 discs. When I try burning the discs I get a power calibration error on all discs. I tried everything to get these to burn. I then put in memorex 4x discs and also ritek g04 discs and they burn fine... Put back in memorex ritek g05 disc and they get power calibration error. I called sony and they told me to reformat my computer and if same problem persits disc is incompatible. ( no way I am doing this) I when to another form and upgraded the drive to the dru-510a (same thing non oem)and then downloaded the latest firmware which worked fine and I can still burn on g04 and memorex 4x discs but I tried a memorex g05 disc and get power calibration error. I then went to a sony dru-500a (older drive also 4x)with latest firmware and it burnt at 4x on the memorex 8x g05 discs... Is the drive bad? Sony says they will not exchange drive. Has anyone else had this issue? HELP!!!! Once 4x media is not avalible my drive will be useless....

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

You have bad discs. I had a whole spindle of G04's a few weeks ago that gave me that error.

If you contact Memorex, they should send you replacement discs or return them where you bought them. I would also make this the last time you use Memorex. They are not recommended at all.

3. BlackHood

BlackHood Member

could it really be bad media? why did one burner burn disc and other burner gets power calibration error? Could it be possible

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  4. kchev

kchev Regular member

I overlooked that you tried them on 2 drives. But it is still possible that it doesn't like the media.

Is this the only media it has trouble with?
    I would recommend trying another brand because Memorex is not very good.

I had a spindle of Memorex a year or so ago that was bad. About every other disc would not lead in and start burning. They sent me a whole spindle of replacements.

If it will burn another brand then the drive is fine. A small spindle of different media is alot cheaper than buying another drive if you don't even need one.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  5. BlackHood

BlackHood Member

Guess I will try and rma them.... or buy new ones... will keep everyone posted.. have seen 2 other threads about this... looks like the ritek g05 will not work on the sony dru-510a

6. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

I just got these DVD-Rs after trusting the brand for giving me a 100% success rate on the G04s ( didn't know about all this G05 crap until i got the PCE )

the strangest part of this is, EVERYONE and their mother seems to be complaining that these discs don't work with the Sony DRU-510A and has bad success rate on other Sonys.
    HOWEVER
    if you go to Ritek's compatibility chart for DVD-Rs you will find that Sony DRU-510A (with a few others) have perfect compatibility across the board.

dunno about you guys, but this is fishy. I emailed both sony, ritek, and newegg(from where i purchased) to see if something could be done about this.

7. tkjaljjdj

tkjaljjdj Guest

I bought a 30 pack of memorex dvd-r discs(colored ones) for 14.88 at walmart to try. Dvd decrypter show them as ritek G05's and I get the power calibration error as well using my sony dru500a. I was using firmware 2.0g and upgraded to 2.1a, but it did not help. I will never buy anymore memorex.

I am going to hang on to them and get me a pioneer dvr-108 soon and see how they do with it. I have been wanting a new writer for some time. Now's the time and the price at newegg is right.

8. scraig248

scraig248 Member

I just ran into the same problem. I have a Sony DRU-510A drive and Ritek G05 8x discs (burning at 4x).

I did a google search to find this thread just on "sony dru-510a power calibration error". I'm using Nero Burning Rom 6 (version 6.6.0.1) to burn the discs. I just bought a 100 pack of Ritek Ridata G05 8x DVD-R's to. But interesting to note I was able to burn the first 3 without any problem. Also funny someone mentioned Memorex being no good. I bought a 50-pk of those last year and I had the exact same experience, every other one was bad. I also had to burn at 2x even though they were 4x discs.

I used Ritek G04's 50-pk without 1 bad burn. I need to keep saving my TV show series so I can't be without blanks.

Does anyone think that the Sony DRU-510A just seems to prefer a DVD+R disc over a DVD-R ?

9. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

I emailed sony and this is what i got:

We are always developing new firmwares for our drives but I would not hold my breath waiting for the firmware to be updated. The older a drive gets the less emphasis we put on finding improvements for it.

Please visit our website at http://sony.storagesupport.com/ for all the
    latest upgrades and up to date FAQ's.

Please include previous emails in all replies so we may better assist you.

Thank you,
    Jason
    Sony Technical Support

since i had a 100pk i went on a search for a new burner and got the Optorite DD1205 from newegg.com for 50bux (u can't go wrong with that price)...it burns G05 like a charm, also burns dual layered, 8x -r 12x +r i believe, and also has that HDBurn technology (some say outdated but if u keep the drive, u'll never go wrong w/ being able to burn 1.4GBs to 1 CD-R...that's hot)

i was also gonna get the dvr-108 until i came across the cheaper more efficient optorite (after doing much research on the topic)

10. tomripley

tomripley Member

Sony's burners are simply rebadged Lite-On models, which have a reputation for being slightly better with dvd+r. I've never used them myself, so I can't say whether that's true or not.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  11. kchev

kchev Regular member

the newer sony drives are supposed to be the ones that are rebadged lite-ons
    the older 510 is not
    i have a 510 and it will burn -R and +R the same. no preference

on the other hand I have not tried any G05's in my drive
    I have tried G04's from meritline, rima, and newegg and they would ONLY burn at 2x in my drive
    nero would let me select me 4x but it would still take 30 minutes to burn the disc
    even with updated firmware, I don't think Sony likes to update their write strategies with Ritek media

12. tomripley

tomripley Member

Thanks, I didn't know that. Keeping track of all the different OEM deals can be a bit bewildering at times.

Part of the problem may be that most of their firmware work these days probably gets done by Lite-On, who obviously wouldn't know anything about a drive they didn't make.

Doesn't reflect very well on Sony, though, if some of the most widely available 4x media can only be burned at 2x. What media can it handle at 4x - mcc?

13. kchev

kchev Regular member

that is the only media I have had trouble with, every other kind of media I have tried has burnt fine
    at first I thought the discs were bad because of the limited burn speed, but after trying them from two more places, I decided that Sony doesn't like the G04s. I also have an NEC 1300A that would burn them all at 4x with no problems, so I knew it wasn't the discs.
    I got the drive when it first came out and paid dearly for it, but it has been an excellent drive.

14. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

i've used countless media on my DRU-510A includeing the ritek g04s and all have burned fine at full speed
    perhaps the problem is within your computer or some config that is set improperly? dunno....i've never had a problem reaching advertised speeds

however as i said in my previous post...the g05s look like they'll never be supported by sony for the older drives like the dru510a....in fact, i don't think they will ever be supported cuz last i read the 700 series doesn't handle g05s either

15. tomripley

tomripley Member

I know that newer Lite-On drives can burn RITEKG05 media, so the Sony models should be able t do it as well. I'm not sure how well the official firmware handles it, but you could always try some of the unofficial firmware available here (I know some of it has tweaks especially for G05, see second link):
    http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=114993

In general, lots of people seems to have problems with the g05s. Not sure why, maybe the drive makers still haven't found the right write strategy for it, or maybe it just isn't all that good.

16. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

if u check ritek.com and see their compatibility chart for g05 most newer drives seem not to have a problem with them

i also spoke to a ritek customer support representitive and he said that the g05 (obviously) uses a new dye for more efficient writing capabilities.
    he also said that he would be in contact with sony (i emailed him about my dru510 not working w/ em) so they can perhaps provide an update for their firmware to work w/ the new g05s

the way he responded made it sound like any game developer saying as games get more advanced the more often you will need to upgrade your video card w/ teh changing times

one thing is for certain about g05s, my optorite dd1205 burns them like a charm and the pioneer dvr-108 is capable of burning them at 12x i believe

17. tomripley

tomripley Member

Indeed, most likely the majority of problems will go away once the different manufacturers get around to releasing new firmware versions.

Regarding the general quality of the G05's I know that NEC for a time limited it to 4x for their burners, giving this as their reason:

NEC in Japan encountered a quality issue with the Ritek 8X DVD-R media (RITEKG05), the media was not of a consistent quality. So in order to give good write quality with this media it was decided to drop the write speed to 4x. This is the same on the ND2500A with the 1.06, 1.07 and ND2510A official release firmwares.

The source can be found at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=609502#post609502

Recent NEC firmware versions doesn't seem to do this, so they must have been convinced that the problems have been eliminated.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  18. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

i wouldn't doubt if it is a quality issue....for some reason (maybe this is common, i've never seen it)
    when burning these G05s in my DD1205 at 8x the burn completes successfully, the dvd works great but looking at the actual disc, it looks like it was burned only for half capacity.

this doesn't happen when burning at 4x, just 8x and on these g05s...at first it scared me when i took it out of the burner but my ps2, dvd player and computer on various drives read it fine....seemed strange to me (it must start out strong and fade out halfway through to the point where u can't visually notice it)

19. tomripley

tomripley Member

Don't worry about the color shifts, they just show where the drive changed to another burning speed. The drive might do the first part at 6x and then shift to 8x for the remainder.

There's a good explanation of the diferent writing strategies here:
    http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa4.htm

20. kchev

kchev Regular member

it was tried on two different computer systems and a couple different firmwares so i just gave up
    i read on videohelp's website also about people being able to burn G04's at 4x with the 510A so who knows
    i also wondered if they just thought it was burning at 4x just because nero or whatever program said it was
    i could select 4x and nero would even say burning started at 4x, but the drive would not let it burn over 2x