1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-510A DVD Burner problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mpuwal, Mar 21, 2005.

1. mpuwal

mpuwal Member

I have looked everywhere in the forums to find the answer to my question and I could not find it anywhere. So I ask of your help. I have a Sony DRU-510A DVD +- RW and in Device Manager Under Primary IDE Devices/Advanced Settings/Device 1 it says for "Current Transfer Mode" PIO Only. But in the drop down box it says DMA if available. How do I get DMA in Current Transfer Mode? I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. Please help!!!!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What you want to do is uninstall your primary ide channel, then re-boot. Windows will automatically hook it back up and it "should" go to Ultra Dma 5 or so.
    Also check your secondary ide channel,you may have to do the same thing,and reboot.

If you get 5 or 6 burn errors in a row, windows will transfer the controller/s to pio as a safety.

Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  3. mpuwal

mpuwal Member

Ive tried that already and it still defaults to PIO Only. Could it be somewhere in my Bios? Or the jumper on the back of my DVD Burner?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

How do you have your burner set: cable select/master/or slave?

Have you ever burned any cd's or dvd's on this sony drive?

5. kingsmead

kingsmead Member

IMHO, if you recenty bought it, return it to the store and get a Plextor drive. I had the DRU-500A and had nothing but problems with it. It was sent back once to the factory for problems similar to yours PLUS it only read DVDs and couldn't read/burn CDRs. I bought 4 different brands of media thinking that it was fussy about what blanks it was given until I realized that the unit was defective.
    The unit was returned to me "repaired" by Sony and lasted another 2 months and then finally died altogether. By that time, it was 3 weeks out of warranty. I ended up sending Sony a nasty letter about their lack of support (more to get it off my chest than to get any action. I read a reveiw in PC World magazine on the Plextor drive (mine was one of the first 12x drives). I picked one up for $150 at Best Buy and it's been the best drive - no problems at all and have burned happily ever since.
    From other discussions I have seen, Sony's reputation is going down the tubes especially since they have farmed out the production of their products to other Asian countries - no longer made in Japan.
    Just my opinion, of course.
    Jeff