1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-510A not burning DVDs after XP SP2 update!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by KristyL, Oct 25, 2004.

1. KristyL

KristyL Member

I'm about to tear my hair out! A few days ago I got the 'fantastic' idea to install SP2. I installed it, and then found nero had a compatibility problem - so I got the upgrade and I'm now running 6.3.1.25. Even with this version of nero I am still unable to burn dvd's - I keep getting a 'Power Calibration' error.

At the same time, Record Now DX wouldn't even recognise that I have a recordable drive. So I updated my firmware for the Sony DRU-510A, and am now running 1.1a. It now recognises that I have a drive, but I keep getting error messages.

I'm using TDK DVD-R, which is on Sony's list of compatible disks. Interestingly, I can burn CDs with the drive.

Things I've tried - I've gone into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>IMAPI CD Burning Rom Services and Disabled Start Up Type. I've also gone into My Computer Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>Secondary IDE Channel Properties and changed the Device 1 transfer mode.

I've unistalled XP SP2 and it still doesn't work. I've reinstalled the drivers and programs to no avail.

Please help....I would really appreciate it.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

kristyL,

SP2 sucks! I guess you've found that out now. Just about everyone i know has had problems with it. It definitely screws up other software, especially DVD software!

You MUST do a clean uninstall, it may require going into the registry. You could try a system restore to correct the problem.

It even tried to install on my PC with auto updates turned off!

You can find a blocker for SP2 after a clean uninstall here:

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=software;action=display;num=1097242814
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  3. KristyL

KristyL Member

BigOrange, you are a champion! I'm just going to your link now...wish me luck, I will let you know how I have gone.

I am still stunned that SP2 could absolutely trash my system like this. I will NEVER download another microsoft update ever again without doing careful research. I am absolutely furious.

Would you recommend that I keep nero at 6.3.1.25?

Thanks for your post...

Kristy

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]Would you recommend that I keep Nero at 6.3.1.25? [/bold]

Most definitely! A great suite of audio/video apps with cover design, toolkit, menu design, DVD backup, file conversion and so many others.

BTW, on the 28th a new update of Nero called nero reloaded is out, free for registered users, some good improvements, I highly recommend it :>)

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

KristyL,

One other thing, if you have a good security system on your PC, there is no need for SP2 IMHO. McAfee or Norton do everything you need. Add a couple of programs like spybot, adaware, etc. and you're good to go!...:>)

6. KristyL

KristyL Member

Hi Big Orange!

Well....things have curdled, very quickly!! I tried a system restore, but my system has gone bannanas and is really unstable....I have no task bar or start menu when I start the PC now. Luckily, I've managed to get nero backup working, and it is burning a backup of my files now. I think that I will just start again with a fresh XP install. Bill Gates is not my favourite person right now.

Thanks for the info about SP2...I have Norton, and a few spyware/adware programs, so it is a relief to know that I should be ok. I guess one thing this highlights for me is why I really need to do regular backups.....I have too many irreplaceable photos on it, not to mention my iTunes music library that would take 10 billion years to reinstall manually.

Just to take shameless advantage of your knowledge....I should reinstall XP, driver information, etc, programs...and then I should be right? I'm thinking a fresh install, although drastic, should fix the damned thing?

I was ready to smash things last night....you will never know just how appreciated your help has been. Sony was very quick to tell me that my support warrenty is no longer - I will need to call the pay for service line (mind you that took about 6 paragraphs to tell me - they could have given me support in those 6 paragraphs.). This little consumer will remember!

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

KristyL,

Yeah, it's a pain, i did it not too long ago. Just take your time, and don't get in a hurry and you'll be OK. When you get done shout back if you still have burning problems and we'll work them out :>)

8. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Kristy, if you're going to re-install XP, you might consider trying this:

1 - install XP
    2 - install all your drivers
    3 - install XP SP2
    4 - install Nero

See how it goes...if it's still screwy, you can either a) restore to pre-SP2, or b) start over and re-install XP again.

When I got my new computer a couple of months ago, I did that, and I've had no trouble with SP2 at all. I'm running Nero 6.3.1.25.

Let us know how you get on!

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

The problem with SP2 is that trouble doesn't necessarily start all at once. I know many who installed it and had no problems at all at first, then little things started happening bit by bit. Until finally the entire PC was at a standstill, especially in conjunction with DVD software.

Even Microsoft has admitted it has problems and is issuing a new install sometime in late November. They have even released a blocker to keep it from auto installing on your PC! Also, lots of times system restore doesn't work either(i believe you tried that kristyL didn't you?). My advice would be, for now, stay away from SP2 :>)

10. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Thanks bigorange...I think I'm going to barf now. Getting my computer set up just the way I like it (including the hassle of getting pre-SP1 XP to format my 160 GB HD!) gave me ulcers and aged me at least 10 years. :p

I suppose on the bright side, if my computer does start acting screwy, it will give me an incentive to do a nice, clean re-install. Sigh.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, I didn't mean to freak you out, It hasn't screwed up everybody's PC. Just a large percentage. Too large for me to risk it. You may be one of the lucky ones.

Since it is mostly a security thing, I figure I have enough security as it is with McAfee, spybot, adaware, etc.

Don't worry, you'll be fine, LOL :>)

12. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

You see, this is why I'm obsessive about having a clean system to start with!

I'll state for the record that I don't know anyone who's had problems with SP2. One friend in particular is well into DVD ripping/burning.

So I'm not saying I recommend SP2, just that it's okay (ie, as okay as XP can be) in my book.

Cheers :)

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I did have issues with nero & SP2, but with the updates it was sorted. My PC runs DvdXPlatinum, nero, Alcohol 120% with AnyDvd & DVD43. It seems to run OK. I don't know if I would recommend SP2, but mine appears to work with the minimum of fuss! Good old microsoft!!!