1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-700A Unable to read DVD+R(W) Media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Stay-Z, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Stay-Z

Stay-Z Member

Hi Guys

I recently purhased a Sony DRU-700A and have been using it to Read and Write DVD-R's fine. However, when it comes to reading and writing to DVD+R's I run in to a problem. The drive is meant to support both the + and - formats, however when I place an already written to DVD+R or +RW in the drive, the drive label (shown in "My Computer"} changes to CD and either does 1 of 2 things:
    - Shows the drive folder as empty or
    - Says that the disk could be corrupt or the format may not be compatible with Windows.

I know that the DVD+R(W) disks I'm trying to read are fine and that they the fomrat is compatible with Windows XP as they work purfectly on a friends laptop DVD reader (also running Windows XP Pro)

I'm not sure whether the problem is due to a faulty drive (as it is odd that it can read one format but not the other), or software related

If anyone has any suggestions they would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Are you talking about an external device? If so, then I would first run a system check to see if the PC is recognizing the drive to have the ability that it claims. Then perhaps take it to another PC to check again. If both says no, then there might be something wrong with the burner and you should consult the dealer. If your PC says no and the other PC says yes, then may be there's something wrong with your PC rather than the burner.
    Does this sound logical?

3. Stay-Z

Stay-Z Member

Yeah my thoughts exactly, however, pretty much all my friends have either a laptops.

The drive is an internal DVD-/+RW drive, so it makes it a bit harder to check, I have managed to get hold of an internal DVD-ROM drive so I'll put that in my PC tonight and see if it can read DVD+R(W)'s.

I'd rather test the DVD Writer in another PC, as you've suggested, however, as I'm unable to do so at the moment, trying the DVD-ROM is my next best alternative.

I'll let you know how this goes