1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU 710A doesn't read DVD at all

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by vakharia, Jan 19, 2005.

1. vakharia

vakharia Member

I have a Sony DRU 710a DVD RW drive. My problem is that it does not read the Fahrenheit 9/11 DVD at all. Windows shows an empty drive in explorer. I have so far played at least a 100 other DVD movies on this drive but have never faced this problem. needless to say, no software can read the file as well, viz. DVDXCOPY, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, etc. etc. Please help. My drive region is set to 1 and that cannot be the problem as my dvd player plays the DVD fine. I have an APEX 1200 DVD player. I am using AnyDVD as well as DVD Region + CSS Free 5.58 as well.

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Maybe you got a bad disc. I used DVD X Copy on that movie and got it just fine. I can't see the problem being anything else, as you've said that 100 other movies worked fine.

3. vakharia

vakharia Member

Thats what I thought so I changed the DVD twice at the store. None of them worked. I read somewhere (videohelp.com I think) that this particular drive has a problem with some stamped discs and can't read them at all. Do you think maybe that is it? Can anybody help please?

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I've never heard of that but anything's possible. All DVD's that you buy in a store are stamped though, so that would just be retarded on the manufacturer's part.

5. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Have you tried the dvd's in a dvd player? That would be one way of verifying that the problem is not the dvd.

OTOH, maybe there is some kind of stealth protection to prevent movie dvd's from being played on computers, and this dvd has it?

Not to reveal my political stripes, but are you really missing anything not being able to play that dvd?

6. NoName2

NoName2 Member

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  7. vakharia

vakharia Member

Bazilla, my original thread already mentions that it plays fine on my DVD player which is an APEX 1200AD.

I haven't missed anything I think.

NoName, did you use SkipDoctor with the DVD in the Sony drive? Which means that it read the original DVD but cannot read the burned DVD, is that what you are saying? I am assuming SkipDoctor is some software like DVD X RESCUE.

8. int3gr4

int3gr4 Member

Have you updated the firmware for your drive? I have the same drive as you (Sony DRU 710A) and I havent had a problem reading any discs yet, although before this drive I was using a LiteOn 1663s (which is the same exact drive as the DRU 710A just the OEM version) and it read Farenheit 9/11 just fine. The newest firmware for the DRU 710A is BYX2. I doubt thats the cause but it wouldn't hurt to try it. My LiteOn drive stopped reading all forms of CD media out of the blue and I returned it for this Sony Drive (not aware at the time that it was the exact same drive) and I havent had a problem since. I think my first one was just out of a bad batch. If you still have problems reading the disc after updating the firmware I would immediately return the drive for a replacement before your warranty runs out.