1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-710A (dual layer) Do I need 9.4 GB DVDr's

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by zemrudi, Dec 15, 2004.

1. zemrudi

zemrudi Member

I recently purchased the Sony DRU-710A, so I could backup my movies in full quality DL format. It only burns in DVD+R DL. So will I need to buy 9.4 GB DVD+R's in order to backup a large movie at full quality. Or will it burn dual layers on a 4.7 GB DVD+R.
    Not sure if they even make 9.4 GB DVD+R's?
    Can someone please help??

2. dukhnt

dukhnt Member

If you want to burn in Dual Layer, then you will need to purchase specific Dual Layer blank media. However dual layer media is still expensive. You do not need to use dual layer to fit an entire full length movie / film onto a bland dvd. You will need to compress the original by using DVD Shrink, or similar program prior to burning. The software is free, just search the forums after you decide which your going to use. I have the same drive as you, and love it. Good choice. P.S. whatever you do,...dont purchase Memorex media, they will only burn at 4x.

3. ospylac

ospylac Guest

I've tried unsuccesfully using 2.4x Verbatim Dual Layer DVD's (£6 a pop). Ran through DVD shrink and burned ok (took 50 mins), but would not play back in any of my home DVD players. Did the firmware upgrade but still no joy.

4. vickann

vickann Member

I also purchased a Sony DRX-710UL burner. I can use it with DVD Shrink and it reads really fast and writes really fast, but I cannot view the movie on my DVD players (which I can with the old slow HP burner) I finally had to use DVD Decrypter to rip the movies with files and then use DVD Shrink with the burn using Nero option and it burned it just fine and is playing on my DVD player as I write this. But when I use DVD Shrink and then Decryptor to burn it will not play. I thought it was a problem with the Sony burner but no one seems to know the answer to that.

5. ospylac

ospylac Guest

I'll try that vickann - thanks!
    Will let you know.