1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-710A problem burning dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by jub, Jan 8, 2005.

1. jub

jub Member

Just got this drive. To test it out before trying to burn all my home made movies that are sitting on my computer, I tried to burn a 4 minute segment.It got through the encoding (or transcoding) part ok but when it tries to burn, it ejects the disc and says "disc required for compilation is CD-R/RW??? I used TDK DVD-R (2x) cos we already had these. Am willing to try different media but don't want to spend a fortune experimenting. Any ideas or anyone had this problem? What am I doing wrong.

2. brad71604

brad71604 Member

I had a Sony 500A (got rid of it)and it gave me nothing but coasters all the time (bad disk). You may want to try sony media it could be propriortary...who knows.

3. dvdj

dvdj Member

what program are you using for encoding/burning

4. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

does it burn the cd-r okay?? have you made sure youv selected a dvd compatible format and not something like vcd/svcd. Also 4min will be a very small file and most burning programs usually add dummy files to bulk up the size for compatibility issues. like dvdj asked, what are you using to burn?? if its nero, make sure youv selected dvd and not cd functions (this applies to all programs really and is a common mistake)

5. whirlble

whirlble Member

do you have the drive set up as the primary drive?

6. jub

jub Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I realize I made the mistake first time. I think I had selected "Make Video CD", rather than DVD. I still don't really understand Video CDs? Anyway, I made a good dvd of my home movie and it plays great on our standalone dvd player so I am well pleased. Thanks.

7. johns3304

johns3304 Guest

In regards to media I bought 3 Sony DRU-710a's on www.newegg.com. I also looked for blank media. As I looked some of they would say, "compatible with Sony drives, and this and that, etc". I got Verbatim 16X +R DVD's and can backup full dvd's in 6 mins, data or video. If I want compatibility for set top boxes, I use the 8X Verbatim -R media.. There are a lot more types out there to try, but I can tell you that these work great. Best Buy and other big stores have them too. I didn't want to be forced to buy Sony, so I went with these.

8. johns3304

johns3304 Guest

I also had the Sony 510 and it was more picky on media. I ended up reading forums to order a certain brand of 2X that never gave coasters. I can't recall the brand now that worked with the old sony.