1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-710a problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by joe912, Dec 29, 2004.

1. joe912

joe912 Guest

I was given a Sony DRU-710a for christmas and i installed it into my compuetr as secondary master by itself on the ide cable. Sometimes it wont read that there is a dvd in the drive or even a cd. i even tried to boot the windows cd on startup and it wont recognize it either. i would say it works every 10th try.
    any ideas why it wouldn't be able to read the cd's

2. ospylac

ospylac Guest

Got one for Xmas too and having problems. Mine'll read ok but won't write anything. All I can suggest is trying the firmware update available on www.sonydigital-link.com. It didn't work for me, but you might be ok.
    Best of luck!

3. dnbselect

dnbselect Member

same here. i had roxy on my comp when i installed nero and my comp crashed. got roxy removed, but now the dvd burner plays dvds all choopy and pixilated.

4. skydiv3r

skydiv3r Member

my guess is you didnt set the jumper on the back of the DVD burner right. i have a 710A and made the same mistake..i love this burner!!

5. mbritton2

mbritton2 Guest

I have the same one and I have had no probs with it so far

6. dnbselect

dnbselect Member

well i got it working. seems it was working good for some time. turns out it was the dvd i was using (the matrix) to test it was bad or something. which is weird because it plays just fine on my old dvd drive. i put in lotr and it played just fine. burned some stuff also w/ no prob. maybe this is a decent burner after all.

7. ospylac

ospylac Guest

Managed to get mine swapped at PC World, only for the second one to the same as the first, i'e it wont write (well not strictly true - it writes junk). Got it swapped again, for a nice NEC job which works a treat, and I got quite a bit of change back!
    For info, I was trying to use this drive in a SONY VAIO PC!

8. qubit

qubit Member

I also got a dru 710a for xmas and Sony has replaced two faulty ones. This last time I needed a replacement they sent me a DRU 720a. So far, so good. I think there is an inherent bug in the 710a.

9. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Does anyone know how to fix the CD-reading if it supposedly got damaged? I was burning a CD-RW with it yesterday, but I made a very large error by burning with Memorex (and, oh yeah, the stories are true: They Suck!), and it stopped verifying it at 65%, followed by a very nauseating sound from the burner. I did the only concievable thing to save it; turned off the program and restarted the computer. A very big mistake on my part. The drive worked like a charm beforehand, and it still plays all forms of DVD (I even burned a DVD+RW just to check), and that works, but no forms of CD will play at all. I think the same thing happened to my Lite-On 48247S as well, because it is recognized in every aspect on my computer, but it won't play a damn thing. Well, help is appreciated, but to suggest getting a new drive would be too simple a task (I could have thought of that). Thanks.

10. qubit

qubit Member

My last one started with a cd-reading problem; still reading and burning DVD's. But in the end the whole thing just went wonky; wouldn't even spin. If you're still under warrenty (as I was lucky to be) call them for a replacement. You will probably get the next version up, as I did.

11. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

How would I go about doing that? I'm not really the type to mail in any item that breaks down on me (because I don't know how!). Would I need to get some kind of shipping package from like the Post-Office, or would I need to fill out a form, or would I need to get in contact with their website? Help is appreciated.

12. qubit

qubit Member

Go to Sony.com and muck around in the customer service part. First you will get some on line chat person who may ask you if you are using the ribbon cable that came with the drive. Tell her/him that you are, otherwise they will tell you to swith out and call it fixed. After that issue has been resolved then they will give you a tech support number to call. The phone people are nice and if you tell them that your drive isn't spinning (which I told them, cuz it really mostly wasn't at the time) they will send you a pre-paid shipping label. You have to wait for them to get your bad one before you send you get the good one, but they've always been quite timely trutworthy with that. Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  13. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Nevermind. I just bought a Sony CD burner. Personally, I don't even know why I wrote back. LOL