1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU 710A problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by trgrpullr, Mar 30, 2005.

1. trgrpullr

trgrpullr Regular member

A few weeks ago, I updated my firmware to BYX3. Since then, my burner will only burn to DVD-RW or DVD+RW discs.

If I put a DVD-R or DVD+R (Taiyo Yuden and Ritec) into the drive, "My Computer" shows that my DVD-RW drive is now a CD drive (it still shows that there is a DVD-R in the drive). If I try to do anything with a DVD-R in it, it tells me the drive is inaccessible.

I tried reflashing to BYX2, and BYO2. It said the flash was good, but it still only allows me to burn to a rewriteable.

I noticed when checking out Omnipatcher that if you load BYX3 it only shows tables for dual layer and rewriteable media...

I even did a DOS level firmware repair with mtkflash 1.80.1, but it still wont let me burn my DVD-R's that it always used to. ASPI is fine, and I even rolled back my IDE driver to the default windows one instead of my Nvidia IDE driver because that was supposed to work better.

Any ideas? I'm about to throw this POS out and get an NEC or Plexy.

2. DarKnyt

DarKnyt Member

Funny thing - I updated firmware on this drive from BY01(maybe I was at BY02) to this BYZX3 in the hopes of fixing some media incompatability and an apparent degeneration in burn success. I was at 250 burns with almost no coasters on Sony 8x and then I started getting tons of fails off TDK media.

Now I don't see any improvement in burn success and i addtion I'm getting regular fails on my previously impervious Sony 8x media.

I'm not terribly excited about this or have any idea what to do - I'm thinking of trading it in for a Sony 720a as I have that option for almost no cost. I'm wondering if at over 300 burns I've beat the crap out it.

I've also noticed that almost all of my burns now have a light 1/2 inch scratch about 40 degrees to the edge. After careful observation it appears that this is due to the burner.

3. trgrpullr

trgrpullr Regular member

I just switched my burner from secondary slave to secondary master. It still calls itself a "cd drive" in my computer when I insert a DVD-R or DVD+R, but now it will burn the disks no problem. Problem solved, I guess. Anyone else having problems with this drive may want to ensure it is set as master.