1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-710A

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by nps, Dec 31, 2004.

1. nps

nps Guest

I'm planning on buying this single-sided dual-layer burner. I have a few questions before I buy it though. I'm planning on burning DVD9 discs like Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. This burner writes at 2.4x to single-sided dual-layer +R discs. Will I be able to burn this disc and any other DVD9 disc out today with this burner? I'm buying a six pack of single-sided dual-layer discs from Sony with the burner. The drive can write 8.5GB of data, is that the size of a standard DVD9 disc like Lord of the Rings?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2004
  2. M5_Power

M5_Power Guest

NEWBIE SAID:

"I'm planning on buying this single-sided dual-layer burner. I have a few questions before I buy it though. I'm planning on burning DVD9 discs like Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. This burner writes at 2.4x to single-sided dual-layer +R discs. Will I be able to burn this disc and any other DVD9 disc out today with this burner? I'm buying a six pack of single-sided dual-layer discs from Sony with the burner. The drive can write 8.5GB of data, is that the size of a standard DVD9 disc like Lord of the Rings?"

Well ... I think it depends on a few things. It depends on the software that you will be using ... Try using DVD X Copy and use it PRIOR to installing any other CD or DVD Burning software on your computer. #2 will be that I seriousl;y doubt that you'll be able Dupe Disc to Disc ... If you X-Copy ... You can do it by uploading the movie to your HD and then record the movie using X-Copy onto the proper +-R or RW media that is compatable with your DVD player. For almost guaranteed results ... and although it takes the longest ... record at 1x1 and NOT at any High-speed.

If you have any other CD or DVD Buring or ripping SW on your 'puter ... Remove it first using add/remove programs in your Control Panel. Just disabling the proggy will not cut it. Then install DVD/X/Copy.

Hope this helps.

3. nps

nps Guest

I think it comes with a full version of Nero 6 but I'll use DVD X Copy instead at slow speeds. Then I won't get any coasters!

Thanks for the input.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from dvd recorders*

Actually you'll probably end up with coasters. XCopy is so out of date and might not recognise the burners or not burn correctly.

I would try DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter (both free)

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

On top of that XCopy doesn't support dual layer burning.