1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-720A speed issues.

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by PTS, Mar 19, 2005.

1. PTS

PTS Member

Model: Sony DRU-720A (with latest downloaded firmware)
    Computer specs: 1.33ghz AMD Athlon, Memory 256megs, Windows XP.
    Writing software: Nero 6.6.0.2

I'm using Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media which gives me the option to burn at x8. In Nero it will give me a countdown of around 8 minutes or so which would be accurate if it was truly burning at x8, but the discs are taking almost an hour to finish (and I don't verify) and the countdown just stays at zero after the 8 minutes or so. Is there anything I can change update with files / BIOS / control panel / hardware, etc to speed things up?

Thanks,

Paul S.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello paul. Go into: Device manager and open up the tree.Check and make sure your primary and secondary ide channels are set to: "Ultra DMA"-DMA if available. They may be stuck on PIO mode.
    If they are stuck on PIO, then uninstall primary ide/reboot.Do the same to the secondary,reboot.Xp should automatically place them to ultr dma.

If that doesn't work,try going back to your Device manager,and uninstall your burner drive/and reboot.

Another thing to look for,on your nero-Make sure you haven't downloaded the "IN-CD" packet.That can screw it up.If nothing I listed helps,try using nero cleantool to rid nero completely off your pc.You may want to de-frag,then reload nero-leaving out the incd packet.
    http://ww2.nero.com/us/Nero_6_Clean_Tool.html

Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  3. PTS

PTS Member

Yep, the secondary ide was indeed stuck on pio mode (probably due to too many dma errors with my last crappy drive) even though the enable dma if available option was on. I uninstalled and reinstalled the ide and bingo - ultra dma mode 2! The dvd-writer now burns in 14 minutes, which is a vast improvment. Thanks for the help!

PS. The primary ide is on ultra dma mode 5 (possibly due to the new cable that came with the dvd-writer), can I get mode 5 (faster write speed?) on the secondary ide if I replace it's old ribbon cable?

Paul S.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey Paul, glad to see you got her straightened out.
    I also have ultra dma-5 on primary and ultra dma-2 on secondary.

My mobo is hanging by a thread. I have a replacement mobo,along with the newer 80 wire/40 pin round cables ready to put in on my next crash,lol

The 80 wire cables should speed them up,from what I have researched here at these forums.I'll probably find out next weekend.
    Burn on my friend! Later!

5. flipsk8er

flipsk8er Member

this might sound like a dumb question but how exactly do you see if it is in PIO mode

6. engage16

engage16 Regular member

flipsk8r
    to answer your question. right-click on the "My Computer" icon then click "Properties". In the resulting box click on the "Hardware" tab at the top. Then the "Device Manger" button. then open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". Right-click on the "Primary IDE controller" and click "[bold]Properties[/bold]", then click on advanced settings, and make sure "Transfer Settings" is set to "DMA If Avalible" on all devices. Then repeat for "Secondary IDE Controller". Hope This Helps. PM for help if nessecery.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  7. Rushman1

Rushman1 Member

saugmon
    How could change it to DMA-33? I saw where a Plextor 16X was advertised to be really fast when set up that way. He is what is on their site.

"Quote from Plextor"
    The PX-740A delivers state-of-the-art recording speeds of 8X DVD+R Double-Layer (DL) and 4X DVD-R Dual Layer (DL) DVD (8.5 GB), as well as 16X DVD±R on recommended single-layer DVD media. The internal drive features an ATA/ATAPI-5 (EIDE) interface for broad based PC-compatibility. Burst data transfer rates for the internal drive are 16.7 MB/sec for PIO Mode-4, 16.7 MB/sec for DMA-2, and 33.3 MB/sec for Ultra DMA33. A short drive length of 6.99-inches accommodates small form-factor PCs. The PX-740A will be available with either a beige or black bezel.