1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU500A DVD-RW invalid disc

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by jlsnnc, Jan 26, 2003.

1. jlsnnc

jlsnnc Member

My Sony will burn to a DVD-R and to a DVD+RW
    but when I try to burn to a Memorex DVD-RW it says invalid disc,,,I have tried diffent software with the same results.I only have one DVD-RW disc,,,just wondering could I maybe have a bad disc,,or is the problem with the Sony DRU500A

2. turkf26

turkf26 Guest

are you sure that your drive burns to dvd-r's and dvd+rw's???

3. jlsnnc

jlsnnc Member

It's a Sony DRU500A burns DVD-RW,DVD+RW,DVD-R,DVD+R
    It works on all but will not burn to a DVD-RW,,I only have 1 disc its a Memorex DVD-RW version 1.1,,It says invalid media,or no disc found when I try to burn to it.Was wondering if anybody thought it's a problem with my drive or if maybe I need to just get another disc? Thanks,,

4. ccsbyy

ccsbyy Member

Yes, I have the same problem with SonyDRU500A and memorex DVD-RW discs

5. jlsnnc

jlsnnc Member

Is it only the Memorex DVD-RW,,,will other brands of DVD-RW work?

6. walt1234

walt1234 Member

I had the same problem with my DRU500A-called Sony who pointed me to a link on their webiste where it clearly says older Memorex, Pioneer and JVC DVD-R/-RW media will not work. Haven't found it yet but apparently there is supposed to be a patch on Sony's website to enable the DRU500A to be able to use what they call 'lower quality' generic media. Hope this helps!

7. jlsnnc

jlsnnc Member

Yes,,it does help,,thanks for the info,,I will check it out.

8. pvdb

pvdb Member

Have the same invalid medoa using the Philips DVD+RW. Updated the firmware to g , still the same. If you find the patch to enable the drive for 'lower quality' generic medias , please mail it to me. I did not find it on the site

9. Silverman

Silverman Member

Same problem for me with RecordNowMax, but with DVD+RW Sony media!
    then I usde Nero and everything went ok.
    Why?

10. drb

drb Guest

I just pick up some Memorex dvd-rw from C.C. and still the same problem. I run filmware 1.0g cause it burns my cheap accu-r at 2x. Has anyone found updating filmware helps.

11. xgasman

xgasman Member

I believe you need v2 for most disks on the SONY. I haven't had many disks my SONY DRU-500A with 1.0f FIRMWARE failed to burn to.

12. weblevins

weblevins Guest

I'm having the same kind of problems with memorex media +R and -R. The DRU500A will write the discs and can read them, but no other drive or dvd player I've put the discs in will read them. I switched to Maxell and they work fine so far. I also have the same problem with the cheaper generic CD-R discs.

13. Tosca

Tosca Guest

I just had that problem pop up. I used Memorex DVD+RW

Here is what happens. I used nero 5.5.10.00.

Once it starts formatting the disc for use I noticed that it took longer than usual about 44 seconds, I believe it took less than that in other burns I did. After the formatting was done I would get an "illegal medium" error. This would then render the disc unusable as the drive would try and read it and freeze up.

I tried three memorex dvd+RWs in a row and I got the same problem. The crappy thing is I had just burned six memorex dvd+RW discs successfully earlier. I have burned about sixty memorex dvd+RW successfully without a hitch prior to these illegal medium problems so it is probably not the medium but the crappy sony drive.

I upgraded to Nero 5.5.10.35 but I got the same problem...

Also, prior to the illegal medium errors I noticed that the burner started to burn the dvds rather badly, leaving spots...

I haven't tried any other media yet.

Just my 2 cents.