1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU500A works fine as long as I don't insert a DVD

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by jdlugosz, Feb 5, 2003.

1. jdlugosz

jdlugosz Member

I just got a DRU-500 on my Win2k Server (SP3) box. I can burn a DVD using the supplied software, but I can't =read= DVD's in that drive. Explorer hangs when it looks at that drive letter, if any type of DVD media is inserted. It works fine for CD type medias, and I can burn using the included RecordNow and disable verify and don't insert the blank until the program asks for it (presumably it's locked the drive for itself by this point).

Any clues?

--John

2. flash7

flash7 Member

I just bought the DRX500UL and have had no problems. I have not used the provided software other than to erase and play dvd's that I have burned. I would contact Sony if it is not working right.

- Tod (=

3. tamarenne

tamarenne Member

The first time you put in a DVD did you get the regional code dialog? Was the first DVD you used a region 1 DVD (assuming you are from the states)

Tam

4. jdlugosz

jdlugosz Member

Resolved:

I thought it was silly because it worked fine for other formats. But Sony's tech support person said they would not support it unless the drive was the Master on the Secondary IDE (the fact that their installation instructions are more general and show three different configurations in detail notwithstanding).

So, I swapped cables with the device that was there, and after Windows "discovered new hardware" and rebooted again, all was well.

Apparently Sony is aware of driver problems, to the point where the require a specific single configuration. Why they don't put this stuff in the online FAQ is beyond me.

In case you're wondering, I had it originally on one of the UDMA-100 connectors. The tech support person kept insisting that my motherboard only has 2 connectors, so I couldn't be using the third!

--John