1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony dru500a

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by framerman, Dec 10, 2002.

1. framerman

framerman Regular member

I have burned a dvd that will play in the pc but not in my standalone. The only thing I can come up with is that it didn't finalize the disc. I burned using dvddecrypter. I have nero but it won't work through that. I have a sony dru-500a and I know there have been burning problems with it. Do I need to format the blank dvd before I burn and what program would do the best job. I have roxio now and it does a quick format which I think doesn't do the job I need. Does anyone else with a sony dru500a have a foolproof method of the burning process?

2. zeki

zeki Guest

i too have not been able to burn a dvd. i tried using dvdxcopy but when i click burn now it doesn't do anything.
    nero doesn't work on my dru500a so i suspect that when i chose the nero driver when i tried to burn with dvdxcopy that might have something to do with it.
    in addition to that i used ifoedit and split the dvd into 2. i tried burning it with the only program that i know that worx with my dru500a the record now software. for some reason whenever i try to copy vob files it gives me an error. when i tell it to burn any other files it worx fine. the files i made with ifoedit seem to work with windvd when i tried to play it so i don't think anything is wrong with the files i'm trying to burn.

so i would also like to know if there are any other programs out there besides nero and recordnow?

3. Coffdog

Coffdog Member

Hey guys, just so you know I tried using my DRU500A with Nero and at first it didn't work then I downloaded the latest patch for Nero and it works fine. What are the steps your taking in Nero and what is the error you recieve?

Coffdog

4. framerman

framerman Regular member

I have Nero 5.5.9.17. Is there a patch for this version? I looked but I saw nothing. The problem I might be having in Nero is this: when I go to the burn dialog box, it only gives me the option to burn at 2.4x. I know I have had problems at this speed in dvddecrypter, so I use 1x. Is there a way to override these settings in Nero?

5. jovanni77

jovanni77 Member

i also have the dru-500a and i use nero s latest software and it works great.It is the latest full release.

6. framerman

framerman Regular member

jovanni77

Are you burning a dvd to watch on your standalone player. I have no problems burning cd's or files to a dvd, but when it comes to burning movies so I can watch them in my dvd player I get "cannot play" message.

7. zeki

zeki Guest

ya i have the newest version too and it isn't working
    damn i wonder what is wrong
    burns cds just fine

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2002
  8. Coffdog

Coffdog Member

framerman, Nero 5.5.9.17 is the version I am using. Thus far I have only burned to dvd-rw and dvd+rw (I'm waiting for my shipment of dvd-r's) however in testing thus far I burned a movie to the rw's and was able to play it in powerDVD on the computer then I took it to my set top dvd players. I have an APEX and an older model Proscan. The proscan would not play it but the APEX played it just fine.

I think the reason the proscan did not play it is because it was an rw as I have borrowed -r's from friends and it has played on the proscan.

I'm not sure what speed I had it at to burn but I just took the default, I can check that later when I am at home.

Also framerman are you able to watch the movie you burned on the computer with powerdvd?

Zeki, Post the steps you take to burn as if we had not used nero before and the error you recieve if you get one that way we have a better understanding of where the issue lies.

-Coffdog

9. zeki

zeki Guest

when i try to burn using nero i use the wizard and create a dvd template, compile new dvd, data dvd, create a new dvd, finish. then i drag the files i want and select burn.

10. zeki

zeki Guest

i updated my bios to f i was using d before and now i can burn with nero. i didn't think the update would do much since it just said support for dvd+r 4x. i was burning with recordnow at 1x but now it can do it at 2x. i also burned a copy of that dvd i split and it worx fine on my standalone. now i'm a happy camper

11. GiXeR

GiXeR Guest

Try update the DRU500A firmware to 1.0f
    http://www.no-source.com/index.php
    I have the 500A as well and install Nero 5.5.9.1.7 and it works just fine with copying DVD, CD without a glitch.

12. JerryW

JerryW Guest

I have used my Sony DRU500a to 40 DVD! I use either RecordNOW DX or DVD Decrypter. I have been using the low cost Ritek DVDs 89 cents! in quantity 100. Is there a chance that you are trying to play DVD+RWs in a desktop player? If so they won't read them. So, just burn to a DVD-R and you should then be ok. I use DVD+RWs to check my playing sequence to assure everything plays like it's supposed to then burn to a DVD-R. cheers.