1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU500AX or HP 300i

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by canuck44, Apr 8, 2003.

1. canuck44

canuck44 Member

What are people's opinions on these 2 drives? I am looking into both of them. I want to be able to backup my dvd movies, my ps2 games and my xbox games.
    any info would be appreciated.

2. whompus

whompus Active member

I use hp and have no problems with it. But I am thinking of changing out for the sony for multi format. That way if you run into a player that likes -r/rw better you can go that way also. The -r disks are much cheeper also.

3. canuck44

canuck44 Member

anyone else have any suggestions?
    cheers,
    nucker

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah , dont bother with either & get a Pioneer a05/105...

Merely a suggestion !!

5. onkelandy

onkelandy Member

I have the Sony and with newest firmware 2.0e I don't have any problem. Could write all formats on any media andy my old pioneer DV-717 recognizes everything. Just wonderful. I really recommend buying a multiformat-burner, because DVD-R is better for most DVD-Players but DVD+RW has technology advances like multisession, appending etc.

6. maes67

maes67 Guest

this question is fore onkelandy

Doo you Watch this movies your burned ,because i have also a sony but every movie i back up it freese in the middle of the movie ore ad the end.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2003
  7. WWTD

WWTD Guest

I havn't had any problems with my sony drive. It backs up PS2 games and movies fine

8. canuck44

canuck44 Member

thanks for the info guys.
    nucker

9. MediaMonk

MediaMonk Guest

Have only found one drawback on the Sony so far - cannot seem to make it change the booktype to DVD-ROM. Is a big issue for me as I have an old Toshiba SD-6200 DVD player, which needs booktype to show as DVD-ROM - it gags on anything else. Seems like the bitsetter programs only work with the likes of HP or Ricoh, can't find a Sony solution yet. Sony has not replied to my queries, either.

10. maes67

maes67 Guest

The sony has a bad thing with alot of media types,because i have the sony dru-500ax and the pioneer 105,i thing the pioneer is ad the moment my best friend because its verry friendly with all kind off media types,a hope sony is coming up with some better firmware.