1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Dru510a Can't Burn..

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Sand-Box, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Sand-Box

Sand-Box Member

Yah so I've had my Dru510a for about a month now. It originally came with a version firmware. I'm running a P4 2.4b, 1GB DDR, 7200rpm 8mb western digital hard drive, a shuttle XPC ss51g model computer and winXp. More then substantal to burn anything you want.

But here is the problem. I attempted to duplicate a DVD, burn an audio cd, or anything else other then a data cd. Nothing will burn to the DVD. I have tried using Pinnacle, Nero, Easy CD, DVD X Copy, Veritas, and a few others. The only one that I can get it to burn anything is the software that came with the drive.

I have tried nero and the used read buffer shoots to 100%. All the other software just sits there burns a bit to the disc then just screws up. I have updated the firm ware to c, then recently to d. That didn't work so I though I would change it from DMA to PIO and give it a try. Still the same thing is happening. I have tried quite a few things and still have no idea. I cannot create anything other then a data disc through Veritas and even then I get many coasters. I have tried formatting and reinstalling the OS with the same results. The drive is on it's own IDE channel set as master. Any help?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2003
  2. cricks

cricks Member

I am having the same problems. I shoot wedding for a living and have just started making dvds, well trying to make dvds that is. Ive tried upgrading the firmware to d, tried switchin PIO and DMA modes, installing new and old ASPI drivers. I keep getting the same results.
    The DVD will burn for a little bit and then there will be an error and the disc ejects. Ive made about 20 coasters and they all have about the same ammount of data on them after they get the error. Im using Pioneer DVS-R470SDF DVD-R discs. Im getting really frustrated. Should I try different blank discs? Is there something you guys are doing that is making this drive work?
    I have a dell precision 650, the sony drive is the master drive on my secondary IDE controller with the stock CDrom drive as the slave.
    Someone please help.
    Thanks

3. cricks

cricks Member

BTW - I also tried using Nero and the buffer is at 98% - 99%. Ive also tried using MyDVD, DVDit, veritas record now, Sonics Record now (i guess sonic bought out veritas?) and now nero. Nothing seems to work. any ideas?

4. Murasaki

Murasaki Member

Try making a image on your harddrive first then burn it on a dvd. I use pinnacle to burn dvds.

5. Sand-Box

Sand-Box Member

yah it's some wierd shit. images don't work either. I don't understant it. ISO, bin's, etc. all screw up. Think just for the hell of it send her back to sony (sigh shipping) and demand a replacement. don't take they will "fix" it for an answer. cuz at the state the drive is in and the price I pay it's useless.

6. Murasaki

Murasaki Member

Whot speed do you burn you dvds. I use 1x dvd that is only 99cent and I burn it on maximum. Burning on maximumI dont solve the problem yeh send it back to sony. Also whot media do U use?

7. Sand-Box

Sand-Box Member

well it's a 4x burner but I did try it all at 1x just to make sure. I use pinno media they cost about 3.50 per disc. decent meida. but what doesn't make sense is burning a data cd under veritas works ok, and i go to nero and burn one the read buffer shoots to 100% burns 98% of the cd and just quits. nero and a few others do this. I dunno. :'(

8. cricks

cricks Member

Im using Pioneer DVD-R media. When i bought it, they were really expensive, around $6 each. So Im pretty bummed that I made about 20 coasters!
    I did save the disc image to my hard drive first and am using NERO and RecordNow! to just copy the files but that ends after a few minutes. My trash can is full of 1/4 burned DVD-Rs. I wonder if it has to do with my scsi drive? I have three drives in my Dell. What are you running?

9. Sand-Box

Sand-Box Member

meh scsi doesn't make a difference. The drives are on the IDE channels. Especially it should make no difference if the drive is on it's own channel with nothing else. I must say though this thing is a very expensive paper weight/decoration for my case. I've considered cutting my losses for about $350 and selling the pos. :(

10. cricks

cricks Member

I ran the Sony Drive Check utility that I downloaded from the Sony Support Site. It said that my drive is functioning correctly. So I wonder if its the media? Im going to go buy some DVD+Rs and see if I have any luck. If it doesnt work, Im going to have to have sony send take it back. What other burners out there are good just in case I decide to buy a new one too although thats not a realistic option right now. Let me know if anyone has solved this problem.

11. Sand-Box

Sand-Box Member

Pioneer is supose to be good as well. If I could go back in time I would have gotten a pioneer. I bought the sony becuase I heard good things and it was supose to be a good burner. not a pile of shit. If I wanted to cover my 5" bay I would have bought a cover :/

12. cricks

cricks Member

Im gettting pretty frustrated too. I just got back from CompUSA and I bought some Sony DVD-R, TDK DVD+R 4x, Memorex DVD-R 4X, Verbatim DVD-R for general, and Maxell DVD-R 2X. I hope one of those discs work. If not, than its either the drive or the way my pc hardware is configured. Ill post what happens tonight.

13. cricks

cricks Member

It Worked!
    I cant believe it, it must have been the media. I used the Memorex 4x DVD-R and it worked the first time. I didnt even try the other brands I bought. So those of you haveing problems with the Sony DRU510a, here is what I did to get it to work.
    Upgrade the firmware to d
    Enable DMA mode
    Set your ASPI Layer to 1.06
    Make sure your BIOS recognized the drive
    Use Memorex 4x DVD-R

14. Sand-Box

Sand-Box Member

Awsome. That is good to hear. I will go grab me some of that media today and give her a try. But still I don't believe in paying alot for media. Big fusking money pit. 50 cent cd-r's worked for the longest time. I have about 1000-1500 burnt around here which is in expensive. I will report the outcome.

15. cricks

cricks Member

Yo Sandbox, did it work?

16. Sand-Box

Sand-Box Member

actually I haven't had any time to get out to buy more media. I did how ever try it with a high quality cd-rw I had laying around. never used so I dropped the drive into another machiene again to try this disc. Still didn't work for me. I believe that the problem lies in the drive it's self. So when i do get new media and it doesn't work it's getting sent back to sony.

17. intpimp

intpimp Guest

I also have a sony dru-510a , and I have npt had any problems burning dvd's. I have used 2x Beall, 2x fuji'2,2x tdk's, and I am currently using 4x Princo's. with no coasters. I use record now to copy already backed up dvd's. If you are using a pentium 4 computer try downloading intel accelerator.

18. cricks

cricks Member

I have a dual xeon dell. Hey, does anyone use the sony drive speed selector you download from their support site? Does it do anything.

19. menetas

menetas Member

yeah,
    i've tried that software.. still no luck.. the only media that works for me so far is those 2x Imation.. im using 10d firmware on my DRU510A..
    princo, TDK and samsung don't work on that unit with that firmware using nero, with both settings (DMA / PIO)..

any suggestions?

20. cricks

cricks Member

I found a brand of media that works for me so Ive been sticking with it rather than keep buying more only to find that it doesnt work.
    I use Memorex 4x DVD-R and DVD+R. So far those are the only ones that work for me.
    I use nero to burn and so far have not made any more coasters.