1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRX-500UL

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by RCB, Feb 17, 2003.

1. RCB

RCB Guest

Recently bought a sony DRX-500UL
    Can burn DVD+R but Not DVD-R
    I have installed the latest firmware but
    still no luck. Any sugestions

2. commwiz

commwiz Guest

1. Try different media. I had trouble burning memorex and khybermedia. 2. Update to 1.0g firmware from Sony. 3. Try it with different software.

3. bdstew

bdstew Member

I have just placed my order for a Sony DRU-500 and the salesman stated that there was problems trying to burn videos onto DVD-R.

He stated that the Pioneer A05 was better as it didn't have any problems.

I am not sure if this was the true or he was simply trying to sell me the Pioneer as he had it in stock and the Sony was a 1 month wait.

I have a month to decide whether or not to stick with the Sony. What do you think? Is it more difficult to get the Sony to burn DVD-R than other burners?

Any advice would be most welcome.

4. Cleliah

Cleliah Guest

Do not buy both! :) Sony has recalled DRU-500 and released a new model. I bought two weeks ago a Pioneer A05 but sent it back because I got a lot of burning trouble (even on not cheap media) even at 1x speed. I burned the 4xDVD included in the package but just A05 itself recognized it, all the player (except 1) I tried refused the dvd!! I think the best one, actually, is the Toshiba. It burns at 2x on each media I put in.

5. bdstew

bdstew Member

Thanks for that. What is the new Sony DVD burner called?

Regards,

Brian

6. Snookie

Snookie Member

Hmm I have the DRX-500UL, and I'm able to burn Maxell DVD-R's with no problem. (well it takes 2 hours per disc to burn but thats another story it seems)

7. nobbyc

nobbyc Guest

I own a Sony DRX-500UL external Firewire writer and have had no problems writing movies to both DVD-R (Bulkpaq)at 2x, DVD-RW (Verbatim) at 1x, DVD+R (Datawrite) and DVD+RW (Sony), both at 2.4x. I have not tried any 4x disks. I have firmware 1.0f (upgraded from 1.0d). By the way, anyone know the difference between 1.0f and 1.0g?