1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRX-500UL

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by vox87, Sep 30, 2003.

1. vox87

vox87 Member

I searched through the forums but, couldn't find a more specific answer, apologize if this has been covered somewhere else.

DVD-RW - Sony DRX-500UL
    OS - WinXP/SP1
    Media - Memorex DVD-R,-RW,+R,+RW
    Burn Apps - Nero 6 and DVD Decrypter

My DRX-500UL worked great up till I upgraded the firmware to 2.0f. From there things went down hill.

First, I noticed the drive would stop responding when connected to my iLink port. If I shut the drive off, then back on, it would recognize once again. To bypass this, I switched over to the USB ports.

Next I noticed my Memorex DVD-R media would not read, nor burn in the drive. However, the Memorex DVD+Rs would. Go figure.

I've read several conflicting posts that people have had success and failures with Memorex.

Sony's recommended media does not indicate any incompatibilities with Memorex so, I'm wondering if its the drive or the media. I've done that "so called" DriveCheck on Sony's website and it passed.

I'm assuming its probably the media and I'm also assuming Nero is part of the problem also. I've read several posts on Nero having issues with Sony drives.
    DVD Decrypter also would not write to the DVD-R.

So, I've probably have answered my question but, just wanted to see if anyone else had experience issues with Memorex and the iLink port. The USB works fine but, I just didn't want waste $50 on the current spindle and another $50 for a new spindle.

Thanks in advance.

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Why did you upgrade the firmware? Try reverting to the previous. There are so many threads on the negatives of the Sony drives. It's about time Sony apologised to it's customers and admitted it's DRU and DRX drives leave much to be desired. I would not recommen Memorex with any drive. Try changing the brand but in all honesty the main problems lie with Sony.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  3. vox87

vox87 Member

Good question.. Wanted that speed up with the drive but, I didn't see that 2.5 to 4x increase..

As for the media.. Went out and got a TDK DVD+R spindle and they worked like a charm..

But, I purchased my drive way back when they first came out so, I didn't know about afterdawn nor the issues with the drives..

Oh well, just keep it going long enough till I get ready to purchase a new one..

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Atleast it is working now. I would recommend getting a Pioneer drive in future as they are far more reliable.