1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRX-530UL and Velocity DVD-R 8X

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Jekes, May 2, 2005.

1. Jekes

Jekes Member

I'm having trouble burning Velocity DVD-R 8X media. I'm using a Sony DRX-530UL burner. All 10 of the disks I tried to burn were unreadable near the end of the movie. The picture freezes, then goes on until it eventually hangs on a freeze. The burner has no problems with other media. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Issues at the end of your backup using velocity media:

Media quality may be the issue. Reduce your backup target to 4300-4360 mbs. The poorer quality media is susceptible to uneven dye on the outer edge. Reducing that target size usually takes care of it.

If you are using dvd shrink,like majority of us, Simply adjust the setting:

Open up dvd shrink
    Edit
    Preferences
    Click on dvd-5,scroll till you get to custom
    At the box to the right of custom,enter 4300 mbs
    Click ok,and your target should stay at that setting.

When you get some quality media,You can take that target back up to 4360 mbs,where I keep mine set. This prevent issues like you describe.

Also keep an eye on your burn speed. The majority of this 8x media will allow us to burn 12x and 16x if the burn speed setting is left on max. Poor quality media has to be burned slower.4x is all I burn.

Hope this helps. Later

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

also, if my hunch is correct, those velocity dvd-r 8x are also using the OPTODISCR008 media ID code on them, personally, optodisc is not a very reliable manufacturer i would rate them only slightly higher than the memorex cmc mags, if that~ :)

i also know that those velocity were sold at amazon.com, and the dvd+r 8x (PLUS FORMAT) were also made by optodisc. OPTPDISCOR8, not very good there either~ i read in some of the reviews before that some very lucky buyers early on got the MID code of MCC003, which is identical to the Verbatim dvd+r 8x that i currently use NOW, but, i think they have since changed manufacturers to optodisc of taiwan.

i think the problem you are having is media related, try some better media, the Verbatim 8x dvd-r (MCC02RG20) are on sale right now at supermediastore, i picked up a few myself, and they are flawless, burning ALL the way to the edge using my Sony Dru-710a. hope that helps.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'll second the Verbatim suggestion from Kivory666. Your Sony will love them. My latest 175 -R 8x turned up today (this lot are made in taiwan but they'll be top; have used many 100s from india, singapore and taiwan). I won't do any more at 8x (the only 2 Verb's i did at 8x were coasters) so i stick to 4x but that's probably just me. Plus 4x is fine for me anyway

6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

gotta love the Verbatims, in either format~ :) MCC rules~ hahaha

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I love verbatim plus format. I've burned ricohjpn-01/mcc-002/and mcc-003.

The only dash verbs I tried was a 5 pack of -4x digital movie quality. The first one was great,but the second one was my only burn error this year.I gave the other 3 to a buddy. They were coded Mcc-01-rg20 and I will avoid these,LOL. My benq doesn't like them.Every burner is different and I will stick with the plus format.Well over 500+ backups this year and a lot of them were on the fly.

8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@saugmon,

you are quickly catching up to me for this year~ :)
    guess i'll have to put my backups on OVERDRIVE to maintain my slight lead on u~

just a friendly note...the Verbs are slowly pulling me to the dark side...but my TY-ness will not go down without a fight~ hehe.

good day to you my friend. sorry for this one post, it has nothing to do with the topic here at hand, i have already stated what needs to be stated to answer the initial question. :)

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I do have about 60 ty-go1's left and slowly burning them up.I still have to transfer a few of my backups,the really good movies,to full hub printables.I'm glad I didn't use crappy media on the first backup copy because i will re-rip these on the fly.
    250+ on the fly copies without a coaster so far,knocking on wood!

Have a good day kivory666!

10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

and to you a good day too saugmon~ i have a few hundred of these TYGO1s left...i've been burning primarily with my Verbs lately and lovin' it~ juss a back and forth thing, i grab the first spindle i see, whether it's TY or Verb, either way i already know what to expect. :) flawless burns each and every time~

11. Jekes

Jekes Member

kivory666,

You were right on. The disks did come from Amazon.com and they are refusing to do anything for me because it's beyond their 30 day return policy. Unfortunately, I bought 200 of them and I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm stuck with them. I haven't tried the manufacturer yet, but I question what they can do for me if they sell junk disks. I was surprised when Amazon refused to do anything for me.

All that said, I'm writing to ask how I determine what media code my disks are? I bought them in Decemeber of 04 and relied on a recommendation in slickdeals.net for them.

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

when you've burnt them, you can use dvdinfopro (free trial) to check the media code and other stuff. I don't think this works on a blank disc but am sure there are other ways to get at the code..

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You can get the actual mfg codes using:

dvdinfopro,like creaky posted: http://www.dvdinfopro.com

dvdidentifier

Nero's infotool

Dvd decrypter

The free version of dvdinfopro does have a couple of nice scanning scanning tests to run your backups through for errors.A very handy program to have.

14. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ jekes

seems like my hunch was correct~ :) and it seems like you might be "stuck" w/ the batch from amazon. well, please use the suggestions from my friends saugmon and creaky here to find out what the media ID code is, i have a feeling they are the optodiscs. :(

if you have any luck getting in touch with the "manufacturer" which in this case should be optodisc, i HIGHLY doubt they will reimburse you for them, since Velocity is not a real brand, rather they are just a distributor that buys from the manufacturers OEM, prints their logo onto the discs and resells the disks at various outlets (such as amazon) to make some money~ if your 30 day warranty from amazon is now over, apparently it is since you stated you purchased the disks in 04', i would try to get in contact with amazon explaining to them that it is not possible to use 200 discs in the 30 day warranty period (i easily do this within a month, but normal people usually don't :p), you had no idea that the batch would be defective later on down the spindle. it's worth a shot, perhaps they MIGHT give you a RMA and offer you a refund to keep you as a loyal customer.

good luck, hope you can get a refund for them...im keeping my fingers crossed for you bro.

have a good one