1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRX700UL Can't burn faster than 4X

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dbw99, Nov 13, 2004.

1. dbw99

dbw99 Member

I have a new Sony DRX 700 UL Burner, which I suppose is able to burn disc's faster than 4X, yet that is as fast as I have seen it burn. When I am decryting is shows that the burn speed is set to 8x (11,000kb/s),
    but that the actual speed is 4x or 5,000+ kb/s.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I used Ridata 8x DVD+R but these only burn at 4x.
    Thanks
    Don

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

3. dbw99

dbw99 Member

Thanks bbmayo,
    I have the latest version installed. I do however have a quick question concerning my USB 2.0. I saw somewhere that it should say, "inhanced" in the device manager, since I had to install a PCI card to upgrade the bus from 1.0 to 2.0 high speed. It doesn't say inhanced anywhere but does say that the PCI card is working properly. I was thinking that this may cause the Sony to run slower that it's optimal speed?
    How can I test this (Belkin) to see if it is indeed running art 2.0?
    Thanks
    Don

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  5. joey78

joey78 Member

Well my writing was perfect until i updated my norton virus definitions. After that its started taking me 30 minutes to write a 4.7 GB disc. I then uninstalled Norton after which everything worked fine. However after i installed Norton and updated the virus definitions everything has become slow again.

It used to take me 17 - 18 minutes to decrypt a DVD using DVD decrypter........now it takes me 45 minutes. my DVDs take 30 minutes to write. Even the encoding of DVDs usning DVD shrink takes twice as much time.

6. dbw99

dbw99 Member

Just to make sure I checked in the Device Manager and,
    under USB Controllers it lists "Belkin USB 2.0 High Speed Host Controller" it says it is working properly.
    Under that it lists a USB 2.0 root hub device, and this also says it is working properly. My computer came with the standard 1.0 USB and I put in a Belkin 4 Port PCI card for High speed USB 2.0.
    As for the Norton AV Thread, I usually disable my AV software prior to ripping/burning, just in case it gets the urge to scan for something. I wonder, is disabling it the same as deleting it in this context.
    I would like to thank everyone again for their input. I think I need to get in touch with Sony directly to see if there is something they can tell me.