1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVD burner crawls after ASPI installation please help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by video777, Apr 10, 2005.

1. video777

video777 Member

I have a Sony DW D22A DVD burner (16X) that has worked flawlesslessly since I got it. I have been able to burwn CD's/DVD's while using my TV card AND browse the internet. I was lovin' it!!

A few days ago, I tried using SmartRipper, which requires an ASPI driver. SO, I loaded forceASPI17, which installs a 4.6 driver.

After loading this driver, my DVD read/write speads have dropped tremendously!!! I DVD that took 20 minutes to read now takes 1 hour or more. In fact, one of them took 1 hour and 45 minutes! The write times have also incrad from 12 minutes to 45 minutes.

I have tried uninstalling this driver, but the burner speeds have not changed from this (almost unusable) speed. I have no idea how to restore my DVD burner back to where I had it. WHen I try loading the Adaptec 4.7.1 driver, I get "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction."

Please advise.

(FYI: I tried to get this post in the right forum...this appears to be it. If not, sorry about that.)

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

These two file should have come with your ASPI dl.
    Run them:
    killaspi.bat
    instaspi.bat - reboot.

This should do a reinstall. You may want to do a system restore after removal and see if that helps.

I'd check and make sure your DMA is still enabled as well.

3. video777

video777 Member

I appreciate your response.

My experience with the installation of ASPI (forceASPI17) has been like putting a virus on my machine. No kidding! My machine (and burner) worked great before I added an ASPI driver to work with Smart Ripper. I researched the whole ASPI thing a little bit before putting the forceASPI17 (v4.6) on my box...this was supposed to be the right one. I've spent hours on my machine trying to get to where I was. Maximum drag! My burner now runs 10 times slower! A 20 minute read now takes 1 hour and 45 minutes; 1 hour to write. In addition, it hogs the whole CPU, as I cannot do anything else.

I'll probably rebuild the whole file system, which will take hours, etc... However, my burner is no good to me if it won't play in the background at the sppeds that it is designed to run at, simply put.

I will not put ANY ASPI driver/product on my machine in the futue! Nero comes with its own, but that never interfered with operations. The whole Adaptec/forceASPI thing just plain crippled me. It has been just like getting a virus (except I can actually use the machine, but the burner is useless).

I combed the internet looking for clues and spent many hours trying to resolve this. Currently, I have a v4.7.1 version that does not install properly. WOW! All this to get Smart Ripper working...when I actually have other products that do the same thing.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. If you have your Sony burner working on XP with Nero and whatever else makes your boat float, stick to it. This ASPI driver situation wasted a LOT of my time. I could have rebuilt the file system using the time that it took to "try this; try that; etc..." In the Microsoft world, the solution is ALWAYS to reboot and/or rebuild...shame and a sin.

All the best.